Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Varget metering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Varget metering

What would happen if I ground up Varget powder into finer bars, because the metering on that powder is terrible? Will that mess with the burn rate?

I know this may be a dumb question

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Init to see the answer to this one.

Would it be safe to grind up gunpowder?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:42 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Yes you will ruin the powder and really mess with the burn rate.

All modern powder is coated with burn enhancers or burn inhibitors to help control the rate of burn. Plus the burn rate is calculated with the amount of surface area on the powder. Crushing not only increases the surface area it reduces the amount of burn enhancer or inhibitor in the powder. Thus throwing off the burn rate by an unknown amount.

DO NOT EVER MESS with powders. It is ok if you get a few crushed grains in a case but to crush them all would be the equivalent to packing your case full of an unknown powder.

Varget is one of the best metering stick powders out there. What kind of powder measure are you using it in? I have used it in both an RCBS and a Dillon measure and I have had ZERO problems and find that it really measures more constantly than many other stick powders.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:50 PM   #4

I vote no!
Yes to you Tango!

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Last edited by Gordo323; 09-17-2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Tang beat me to the reply

Old 09-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #5

Tango pretty much said it all. The powder is the size and configuration it is for a reason.

Engineers with Ph.d's and tens of millions of dollars in test equipment probably got the size, shape and burn rate right prior to Hodgdon marketing it.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 09-17-2010, 11:14 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I pretty much figured it would be ruined if I ground it up. I thought it would burn faster. I use a Lyman powder measure, and compared to RE-7 and Herco, the other two powders I use mainly, the metering is terrible. I know Herco doesn't even count as a comparison though because it is a disc powder. I just have to "slam" the lever on the powder measure with some force or it will hang up, and I will get a large powder charge, so I have to dump that case full of powder back into the hopper and try again. And I have to use the tapper on the front of the powder measure like a crack fiend to keep it from clogging in the case neck. I don't see how anyone can say that varget meters well, but that is just my opinion. I have just started to use that powder and am going to have to learn to live with it's quirks because my AR loves that powder behind 69gr. Matchkings.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:05 AM   #7

I’m no rocket scientist, but I do know that grinding anything generates a static charge, and combined with gunpowder, that could be a very bad thing.
That being said, I only use an automatic measure when I am bulk reloading plinking ammo., and I set my measure to well below max. specs. for the round I am loading.
If I am working up a load for a certain gun, powder charges are only weighed on a scale , I dump the measure on to the scale and add the rest manually.
Call me a puzzy if you like, but I won’t even reload if I get a static shock while getting out of my truck!

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 09-18-2010, 12:06 AM   #8

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I am going to say it is your powder measure. I would clean it our and wipe it down with a dryer sheet.

You think Varget meters bad go get a can of IMR 4350 or 4320.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:20 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I too have had great results loading for my AR using Varget. It doesn't meter too bad through my Hornady measure, the charges when weighed were all within a few tenths of a grain. The crunch as the powder measure works, cutting some grains is a little annoying, however.
I've started using Ramshot TAC and have had good results with it. Its just slightly faster on a burn rate chart than Varget, but its a ball powder that meters like water. I'm loading 60gr bullets right now, but a lot of guys like it with the 69gr's.
I also picked up some BLC-2 to try but haven't gotten around to it yet.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 09-18-2010, 01:41 AM   #10

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

Is yours the Lyman 55 powder measure? If so, that's a measure which doesn't handle any powders particularily well. Avoid using the fine adjust. You want the powder cavity to have as few corners in it as possible. When you are dumping the charge, if it acts like it is going to have to shear, then shear! Do not back up as this will give you a heavy charge. GD