using lee lube and size kit on cast bullets with lube strip
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > using lee lube and size kit on cast bullets with lube strip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default using lee lube and size kit on cast bullets with lube strip

Can the lee kits use the sticks of lube that go in the lube strips or is it a tumble lube only kit? The mold I'm looking at has a conventional lube strip and I would like to not spend another 150 dollars on something to lubricate the bullets if I don't have to. The lee kit is a pretty inexpensive option since it works with a standard press and I would prefer that if I could get away with it.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-22-2012, 02:57 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can use the Lee sizing dies with any kind of lead bullet, regardless of type of lube type they are. You don't need to fill the lube groove with lube either. The LLA that comes with the Lee kit works pretty well, especially if thinned a little with mineral spirits. Apply a VERY thin coat. Biggest problem I have heard about with it is caused by too much lube. It gets smokey and doesn't dry well if put on too thick.

I actually like to take the Alox, mix it 50/50 with melted Johnson's Paste Wax (cooked down to about 60% volume), and mix in approx 10% mineral spirits. It is good for about 1400 fps in a properly fitting plain based bullet and works well up to about 2500 fps or so with a gas check with very little, if any, leading.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #3

So if there is a lube strip the isn't a need to fill it with that hollow stick styled lube? Because my main question was will the lee sizer use those sticks. Lee even makes those sticks but I don't see where their sizer uses them.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:32 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The lube sticks are designed for lubri-sizers. The Lee sizer dies are designed to be used with a tumble lube, like their liquid alox. Any style cast bullet can be put through the sizer dies and tumble lubed (or pan lubed), but the bullets designed for tumble lubing do not do well in a lubri-sizer. For those bullets with a standard lube groove, it is not necessary to fill that groove if tumble lubing or pan lubing. In fact, with the LLA, it is detrimental to fill the groove and you will get heavy leading and smoke. With the tumble lubes, you only need a very thin coat over the bullet. The mix I mentioned above is all I use for handguns (including the .357mag) with velocities generally staying below 1400fps. I get virtually no leading if I have a properly sized bullet.

With the lube sticks, it is important to fill the lube groove because you don't have lube on the entire bullet. The driving bands do not have lube on them when shot, so you need the extra lube in the groove to prevent leading.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:02 AM   #5

Thanks so much. I'm getting into casting and trying to only buy what is necessary.