Useing one brand of primers can cause slam fires in free floating fire pins? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Useing one brand of primers can cause slam fires in free floating fire pins?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
I know that there are two sizes of primers (large and small) and two primer set ups..(rifle and pistol) along with two strengths (regular and magnum)
You can include the Rem 6 1/2 SRP and the Rem 1 1/2 SPP to your list. They are designed for Low pressure rounds and are not to be used in High pressure rounds like the 223/5.56 and the 40 S&W.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #12

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I guess my point was don't use a match primer when all you're going to do is shoot a few paint cans.
I would agree but sometimes you have to use what you have on hand. Match primer depending on your location are generally more expensive,there about $3 more per K from my vendor. Also Match primer are suppose to be more consistent from primer to primer and are usually made at the factory by the more experienced workers. However that is not always the case as described in this study done by the DOD. It's basically covers Lead Free Primers but read point #4
Quote:
“Match” Primers Are NOT Always More Consistent
I've actually found through my own chrono testing that the Wolf LR and SP primer I use give lower SD's than my American commercial primers with same load.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/10/surprising-results-in-dept-of-defense-lead-free-primer-tests/

Quote:
point 2, for a semi auto you shouldn't need a mag primer for the powder. I'm pretty sure a Fed-210 would set off BLc-2 anywhere in North America.
Maybe or Maybe not depends on load density and temperature Fed-210's are in the Med. heat range as primer go there also not recommended for using in semi-auto rifles.

Quote:
There also is an unusual situation that should be considered when deciding whether to use standard or magnum primers with ball powders that is pointed out in the Speer manual: Powder manufacturers may state that their propellants do not require magnum primers. This is generally true at maximum safe pressure levels. But Speer’s ballistic testing fully explores propellant behavior over the usable range of charge weights. They often found that a particular propellant works fine with standard CCI primers at the maximum safe pressure. However it may not consistently ignite with lower charge weights. In the lower pressure regimes typical of “starting loads” they commonly saw increased extremes of pressure and velocity. Some ball powders ignited by standard CCI primers will even produce short hang-fires–called “click-bangs” for obvious reasons–at start load levels but not at maximum safe pressure. In those cases the use of magnum CCI primers to insure performance over the range of charge weights is recommended (or perhaps a switch to a hotter standard primer such as the Winchester WLR).
Quote:
I've never noticed a problem when shooting commercial or reloads in my M-1
M1 Owners Manual

Old 05-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #13

Liked 43 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I experienced slam fires one time. I was at the range with my SA M1A. I don't know if it was the primers that caused the slam fires but I was shooting two and three-round bursts. The people around me thought I had a full-auto rifle and were checking me out real good. I assured them my rifle as semi-auto only. I started with a very clean rifle and thoroughly cleaned and inspected it afterwards. I never experienced this problem again. At the time I was shooting some loads with CCI large rifle primers. I was using the primer tool on my Rock Chucker press at the time, which doesn't work very well. Since then I bought a Lee priming tool that works so much better.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2692 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Federal primers have a reputation for being "soft". Remingtons are little harder and Winchester harder still. In pistols, CCI primers are very hard. Not sure about rifles.

The SKS is the most prone to a slam fire. I use Winchester or CCI primers and have no issues. I also removed the firing pin on both my SKS's and deburred/polished the sides. I am not so worried about the floating firing pin setting one off by inertia as I am about a stuck firing pin setting a round off prematurely.

Ball propellents generally ignite with standard primers in cold weather. The problem is actually with the rate at which the powder burns. Cold weather and weak primers will lead to inconsistent ignition and accuracy problems. In extreme situations, squib loads can result from insufficient primer "oomph".

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball