Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Used brass question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Used brass question

Was looking around on gunbroker.com and see that someone has used 45acp brass for sale. They are pretty reasonable with their buy it now price...around .05. They say that because they are not able to cost effectively inspect each and every case for small primers that they throw in a 100 extra cases to cover concerns that you might not be getting the total number of large primer cases. Has anyone had any issues with this kind if transaction? Can one reload small primers in the respective cases? I know about the hassle of changing the primer seating plate, but will they still load the same way?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've reloaded the small primer cases but nothing in volume. They reloaded the same as large primers and I used the same recipe I normal use. I could not seen a difference but I did not crono them either.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 06-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2598 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I have loaded thousands of .45's with small primers (Speer non-toxic). They load easily and shoot well. Nice to have the option of using small primers when large may be hard to find.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

the small primer 45ACP cases load the same as the large primer with the
same load data

Last edited by MidnightExpress; 06-06-2011 at 12:28 AM.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

However, if you are using a progressive press and a case feeder, you had better inspect them out of the flow before they enter the shellplate.