Upland Bird Hunting Shotgun Shot Types
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Upland Bird Hunting Shotgun Shot Types

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Upland Bird Hunting Shotgun Shot Types

I'm interested in Upland Bird Hunting, and would like to ask ya'll a question:

What are the different types of Upland Bird Hunting shot? I mean like per how many ounces the shot is, shot type, even velocity, ect.

I'm trying to understand the information I see on ammunition boxes, and am trying to link what I see with what ammo goes with what type of bird a person is shooting, ect.

I have shot skeet before, but pretty much only know what type I can buy for the range, and how that works with the clay, but am not well versed when it comes to ammo to use on actual birds.

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-22-2009, 09:59 PM   #2

Not much mystery in upland bird hunting. I have always used either the 6 or 8 shot. I have hunted them with 410, 16, 20, and 12 gauge. All work really well. You did not mention what you are hunting then with. Guess it really doesn't matter. I typically hunt with a 8 shot if I am hunting woodcock, bobwhite, or the various grouse, but will use the 6 shot if I am hunting a pheasant or rabbit.
Hope this helps.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 09-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
Not much mystery in upland bird hunting. I have always used either the 6 or 8 shot. I have hunted them with 410, 16, 20, and 12 gauge. All work really well. You did not mention what you are hunting then with. Guess it really doesn't matter. I typically hunt with a 8 shot if I am hunting woodcock, bobwhite, or the various grouse, but will use the 6 shot if I am hunting a pheasant or rabbit.
Hope this helps.
That makes sense. I would be using a 12 gauge. Only thing that occurred to me is that I don't have a dog. Can you hunt alright without a dog? I'm new to hunting, so if I am to start, I might as well start with bird hunting (non-migratory birds because I don't have a 3 shell shotgun in Virginia). Only thing too is that I am having trouble figuring out people that I can join with on the hunt. I guess if I show up at some land where they have lodging and birds, I can get somewhere from there. What do you think?
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:06 AM   #4

If I were you, I'd go online to the VA dept of wildlife and look up their regs for upland hunting and if there are restrictions for lead shot on state land. Or go to your local wally-world and grab some info. It's usually on the counter where they sell guns/ammo

You also need to find out where you can legally hunt. I don't advise just showing up someplace and expect to tag along with a hunting party.

You may want to check online for any local upland hunting websites or take a trip to a local gunshop and ask around about upland hunting.

Lots of upland hunting info on line for you to check out. Check out your local chapters of pheasants forever, or DU, or qual forever for information

What birds you are hunting may have an impact on the shot size you want. Personally I always use # 6 shot for pheasants, but have nailed them, quail, grouse and woodcock with 7 1/2.

There is no laws that I know of that state you can't hunt migratory birds/waterfowl with less than a 3 shot magazine, only that 3 is all your gun needs to be set up to hold (ie a plug in an autoloader or pump)

I can't stress enough to take an NRA Hunter Safety Course prior to birdhunting.

Just my .02...............................markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Old 09-23-2009, 01:37 AM   #5

I think markerdown pretty much said it all. Hunting here in Michigan is going to be different than it is going to be in VA. I strongly suggest you take the suggestions above and don't just show up someplace expecting to go hunting, especially if it is your first time. I don't have any trouble hunting without a dog but it might be different in VA.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 10-18-2011, 05:39 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1309 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 1371

I usually use 4`s or 71/2`s.

When all else fails.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #7

Liked 739 Times on 514 Posts
Likes Given: 770

It not only depends on the type of bird, but the terrian and distance your shooting. If I'm hunting logging roads or class VI roads 4,5, or 6 shot. Open fields, 6 or 71/2.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:43 AM   #8

Back when I used to shoot duck and pheasant I used #6 shot. Smaller birds like chuker, dove and pigeon I would use #9. If the birds were a bit out of distance I would lead them with an express load. Shooting Geese you want a double odd buck...9 pellets per shell.
Hope this helps?