Unsafe to shoot?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Unsafe to shoot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Unsafe to shoot?

I bought my wife a S&W 642 .38 sp revolver for our anniversary, yesterday she shot it for the first time. I bought 200 rounds of winchester ammo and have a concern over a few of the rounds. There were several that I put to the side and would not let her shoot due to the bullet being seated much deeper into the case than the rest. My question is to the reloaders, is there a measurement for seating the bullet that will make it unsafe to fire? I do not plan on letting her shoot them, just trying to learn something about ammunition from you guys/gals in the know. Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If this is new Ammo I would take it back to the seller .
Is it lead and how much difference is between the long and short .
Also how did the other rounds shoot/sound ?

KEYBEAR

Old 05-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Here is a website that is discussing this very issue:
http://www.firearmsroundtable.com/showthread.php?t=4643

Old 05-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #4

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It was new ammo, bought at wallyworld so no bringing it back. There were only 8 rounds out of 200. I would say the difference was probably 1/8 of an inch. maybe a little more, I don't have a caliper to measure them with.

Thanks for the link Ranger

Old 05-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #5

Liked 806 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrange View Post
It was new ammo, bought at wallyworld so no bringing it back. There were only 8 rounds out of 200. I would say the difference was probably 1/8 of an inch. maybe a little more, I don't have a caliper to measure them with.

Thanks for the link Ranger
Get in touch with the manufacturer of the ammo.. They might send you a free box.. A friend of mine bought a new box of 9mm that had some split cases and they sent him a voucher for a free box...

Old 06-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #6

I know that people are against it but sometimes when we reload we get it seated to low and we still shoot them

Old 06-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #7

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You're talking about standard pressure 38 spl. Deep seating isn't going to cause a destructive spike.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?