Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Unsafe Ammo? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/unsafe-ammo-15886/)

BigByrd47119 07-19-2009 03:45 AM

Unsafe Ammo?

Im hoping to find out if this particular shotgun shell I have is unsafe. Iv been told, and agree, that its better to be safe than sorry when it comes to a round your not sure about. Its a Winchester Super X 3inch 00 shell for the .410. I bought two boxes with 5 shells a piece. This one particular round however is 'loose' when you shake it compaired to the other rounds i have. Its not a really bad loose, but as stated earlier, better safe then sorry. However i dont want to be afraid of a slightly loose round for the rest of my life. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

---Justin

Shotgun Shooter 07-19-2009 04:01 AM

Possibly make a video, with good sound, shaking the loose one and a non loose one to compare it? Not sure how much help. Or maybe take pictures of whats different compared to a non loose shell.

S.S.

BigByrd47119 07-19-2009 06:12 AM

Thanks for the reply. Ill look into doing that.

RL357Mag 07-19-2009 02:07 PM

??? Make a video? It's a shotgun shell! There's nothing odd or dangerous about pellets rattling in a shotgun shell....

OC357 07-19-2009 03:12 PM

I used to reload a lot when I was shooting skeet. The only thing that I can think of that could be wrong with it is if the case is not crimped tight and the pellets are a little loose. That shouldn't affect the firing of the shotshell. I have fired shotshels where the case was cracked at one of the crimps from being reloaded too many times with no drama.

robocop10mm 07-20-2009 01:05 PM

Shot shells are less precise than handgun/rifle ammo. The crimp is set to seal in the shot. The shot is in a wad (most of the time) or on top of a fiber filler. The wad is on the powder charge in the bottom of the case (hull).

Due to manufacturing tolerances of each component there are different thicknesses to be anticipated. The machines are set for a specific combination of components. Machines get out of adjustment from time to time. Loose shot normally associated with a shotgun shell is far more forgiving of these tolerances. Loose shot will settle into place and fill the voids allowing for a nice tight package. Buckshot does not "settle" like that so you may have a little movement. Don't sweat it if you have two or more boxes of the same ammo and all or most have this characteristic.

spittinfire 07-20-2009 02:41 PM

Robo hit it. I've got at least 10 boxes of that exact same ammo, they all do. I'd shoot it and not think twice.

BigByrd47119 07-20-2009 06:03 PM

Great! Thanks for the help Spittin!

fprefect 08-02-2009 02:06 PM

Beautiful

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter (Post 130769)
Possibly make a video, with good sound, shaking the loose one and a non loose one to compare it? Not sure how much help. Or maybe take pictures of whats different compared to a non loose shell.

S.S.

Some folks just never seem to "get" it and I think you may have one here. ROFL.

F. Prefect