Universal Decapper.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Universal Decapper.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Universal Decapper.

I've heard some military surplus once fired brass has crimped primer pockets; is this correct? I've been reloading 9mm for about a year now. I just resently ordered a 308 bolt rifle and I'm wanting to reload my 308. To start off with I just want to load for plinking.

So, if its true about the surplus brass would the deprimer/resizer die be strong enough to push the primers out if they were crimped in or would that universal decapper be the way to go? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Firearms Talk mobile app

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #2

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts

For 5.56, the sizing die typically works fine for me. But I don't use it, I use a universal decapper because I tumble my brass in stainless pin media and it cleans the primer pocket as well. Then I size and load. It takes me a bit longer this way but I don't get all the extra crap in my dies.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:41 PM   #3

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnHiker View Post
So, if its true about the surplus brass would the deprimer/resizer die be strong enough to push the primers out if they were crimped in or would that universal decapper be the way to go? Thanks in advance.
I've used the decapping pin on the Redding FL 30-06 sizing die to remove crimped in primers from their pockets during the sizing phase.

That having been said, I much prefer to use a universal decapping die. I happen to use the Lee universal decapper, and it works great with military crimped primers. Extremely cost effective, too. 12 or 15 bucks or so.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:25 AM   #4

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams556 View Post
For 5.56, the sizing die typically works fine for me. But I don't use it, I use a universal decapper because I tumble my brass in stainless pin media and it cleans the primer pocket as well. Then I size and load. It takes me a bit longer this way but I don't get all the extra crap in my dies.
I do the same thing.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:35 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5916 Times on 3088 Posts
Likes Given: 415

I've deprimed a LOT of crimped brass with sizing dies have yet to snap a decapping pin.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-14-2014, 12:31 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6265 Times on 3517 Posts
Likes Given: 5854

I've been using the RSBS universal decapping die for years. and not just for crimped primers.

I like to decap my brass before washing. Then resize after washing.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz

Old 03-14-2014, 03:43 AM   #7

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Hello Gent's, I have a device that works for BERDAN like magic, a friend builds and sells them, quite reasonable at $210 shipped , built like a Tank for Lifetimes of use, decaps on average 360 rnds an hr. has 1 use part, an small Oring at about 1000 rounds, slips on and away you go, makes ALL that Berdan Brass easy to reload, (if ya can find the components). Works on Hydraulic principle. Has 2 in .308 on hand, will make other calibers on request.

Anyway, pm me and I will get you More details.

Last edited by Original; 03-14-2014 at 04:07 AM.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5916 Times on 3088 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original View Post
Hello Gent's, I have a device that works for BERDAN like magic, a friend builds and sells them, quite reasonable at $210 shipped , built like a Tank for Lifetimes of use, decaps on average 360 rnds an hr. has 1 use part, an small Oring at about 1000 rounds, slips on and away you go, makes ALL that Berdan Brass easy to reload, (if ya can find the components). Works on Hydraulic principle. Has 2 in .308 on hand, will make other calibers on request.

Anyway, pm me and I will get you More details.
Where would you get berdan primers?? I dont come across much berdan stuff anymore. Nothing worthy of buying a tool or hunting down exotic primers.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #9

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 15

JonM, using Berdan Brass and being able to decap quickly is simply Doubling ones available brass Supply, the guy's that use this unit are mostly Avid shooters and compete in Mil. 3 gun competition.
The Berdan primers are still not hard to get and the info comes with the unit.
Far as I know everyone who uses the decapper is very happy and the maker has not seen even one return for any reason.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:39 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6265 Times on 3517 Posts
Likes Given: 5854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original View Post
JonM, using Berdan Brass and being able to decap quickly is simply Doubling ones available brass Supply, the guy's that use this unit are mostly Avid shooters and compete in Mil. 3 gun competition.
The Berdan primers are still not hard to get and the info comes with the unit.
Far as I know everyone who uses the decapper is very happy and the maker has not seen even one return for any reason.
Do you have pictures??

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz