Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Unique antique headstamp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Unique antique headstamp

I posted once before, but now I have a photo. I have not seen a headstamp like this before.

I found a ammo cartridge in Wyoming and can not identify the headstamp. The headstamp is a "U" surrounded by a crest. The size of the cartridge is consistant with that of a .22 caliber ammunition. If anyone has any knowledge on this including the manufacturer, time frame, or where to look to find anything about this cartridge, it would be a huge help and greatly appreciated for my project.

Thank you,

ArchaeologistIU

0408001558.jpg  

Last edited by ArchaeologistIU; 04-13-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: grammar error

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8445 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

For the most basic info- appears to be a rimfire cartridge. Next time, stick a ruler in there so we can get an idea of size. While the .22 rimfire is a very common round, in years past rimfires were made in many larger calibers- 25s, 32s, 9mm, 38, 44s, etc.

If you said headstamp was "U", my repsonse would be Union Metallic Cartridge Company- but the shield (Crest is a toothpaste) was the logo for Rheinisch Westfälische Sprengstoffwerke- or as most of us call them- RWS of Germany. I did find mention of them for whatever reason using a "U" headstamp at one time. It is now a letter "R" in that same shield.

BTW- they are still in business- subsidiary of RUAG. You might hunt them up, and drop them a question.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt