Ultasonic vs Wet Media...Which is better?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Ultasonic vs Wet Media...Which is better?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Ultasonic vs Wet Media...Which is better?

New to reloading and I currently use a dry media tumbler. I'm thinking of upgrading to either an ultrasonic or a "wet" tumbler. I only reload small batches and time is not an issue. What I don't like about the dry tumbler is the need to keep buying media, which is not available locally and has to be ordered/shipped. If my understanding is correct, the wet media (stainless steel pins) can be re-used, and the only cost is a little bit of soap and water softener. The ultasonic cleaner (which is supposed to do the best cleaning job) requires the cost of some chemical solution, and I DON'T know if it's reusable or how long it lasts. Initial cost of the device seems comparable....any advice for a newcomer? Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5520 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

if your doing small batches corn cob should last years. i do a lot of brass cleaning thousands of cases i last replaced my media two years ago.

you can find corncob and walnut as various forms of pet litter media.

if i could run steel pins dry i would be interested in that. not a fan of liquids in case cleaning drying is a pain. just my opinion

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21504 Times on 12208 Posts
Likes Given: 53548

ultra sonic cleaners will clean the brass, but it won't polish it like a dry tumbler and media will. the dry media is cheap and lasts a long time. i have an 8 lb. sack of corn cob media that is still about 2/3's full that i bought over two years ago.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #4

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Based on the information I've received, I do believe I prefer the rotary (wet) tumbler with the stainless steel pins over the ultrasonic type. Of course, the rotary tumbler is on back order.
I should mention that my own reasons for reloading include the fun of it. I don't know much (yet) but I do have some technical experience in my background (I was an apprentice toolmaker for a while when I was a kid). I used to work on old cars....but am downsizing away from that. Reloading seems to satisfy that mechanical "itch". I HAVE noticed that I've got my bxlls busted for being new, but EVERYBODY starts out not knowing what they're doing and perhaps some (knowledgable) people forgot where they came from. On the other hand, others have been very helpful and willing to give away the knowledge that was given to them. Just sayin'...
Regarding the stainless steel pins, I have noticed that they are available in different sizes and I could use some guidance regarding that.