Turret Vs Progressive - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Turret Vs Progressive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 04:23 AM   #21
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1200 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 579

Aaron,I tried one of these presses out years ago,before I had a computer. It was a big piece of junk,and I've been using Lee products for over 30 years.
It might work better if there are video's online that can help you set it up,but I broke more parts on mine every time I pulled the handle down. I sent mine back to Lee for a refund the day after I bought it.
I'll stick with my Lee Turret presses!

If I ever buy another Progressive press,it will be a Dillon.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

nitestalker Likes This 
Old 01-24-2014, 04:39 AM   #22

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The LEE progressive is a very weak troublesome loading device. I had one for a "VERY" short time. The little LEE Turret is an OK press. But there is no way you can completely load 200 per hour on this press. The Dillon Square Deal might interest you. It is very fast but limited to .223 rifle rounds.
Natchez has a deal on a progressive.

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=PC&prodID= PC095100&prodTitle=Hornady%20Lock-N-Load%20AP%20Reloading%20Press

Old 01-24-2014, 05:26 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 182 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 498

Decades ago, I started on a Lyman Spartan & loved it...but, it just took too much time. I later tried Lee but got rid of it quickly. Then I saved my money and got a Dillon 550 and fell in love with reloading again. Then I won a Dillon Square Deal at the first Hackathorn Invitational and used it so much that I wore it out! It is a dedicated 9mm but can be converted to other calibers, just not as fast as changing the tool head on the 550. By the way, I called Dillon a couple of months back about the Square Deal because my new shooting student wants to reload to save money since he doesn't have much to spare as a college student. The service rep was an old hand at Dillon & remembered the early Square Deal's so he was able to fix me up with all new parts & sent them to me in less than a week...free! I installed them and have an essentially new press! I can easily crank out 300 to 400 9mm's in an hour now - just like I did when I first got it. They are worth the extra cost &, I feel you just can't go wrong with a Dillon! Save up the extra money & buy a winner!

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

People Like This 
Old 01-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #24

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also look into the dillon square b reloader. Awsome bang for the buck!!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Firearms Talk mobile app

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Old 01-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #25

Liked 1001 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 646

No experience reloading here, but I have an eye for efficiency, and processes in manufacturing. If words like "finicky", "fiddling", "constant fine tuning", and the like are being used more often than not, I'd skip right over that machine. If that's the case, it cannot be helping your accuracy and precision, or safety. These three things are going to come from a machine that does not need any of those adjectives. There is an LGS here that is licensed to manufacture ammo, and he uses a Dillon.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:55 AM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2769 Times on 1447 Posts
Likes Given: 242

A turret is only a small step up in volume. Progressive. I have several friends who low balled it and went with a Lee progressive. EVERY ONE went Dillon w/in a year. Save your money and get an RL-550. You will NEVER regret the choice

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 01-25-2014, 02:15 AM   #27

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Save up or hunt the local papers ads etc for a used or new dillon 650. Its worth the wait or effort to get one in any condition. They are easily repaired or sent to dillon for an overhaul.

While they look complex they are really simple with out a lot of moving parts. I've rebuilt mine once and strip it totally to pieces 3 times a year for a good cleaning and lubing.

They really are worth saving for or hunting the deals for. You won't be sorry
I've used several different presses over the years and love the 650 a lot. It's a lot easier to use than it looks at first and can really make some ammo once set up. I use a dillon square deal a bunch also but it will only do pistol calibers so it has it's limits. On the up side with the little dillon is that thing can crank out some serious ammo. MNe and a friend will switch out keeping it going non stop for a few hours and make a ton of ammo that way. I like to shoot a lot..I mean A LOT! I like the process of reloading but it is much outweighed by my desire to make spent brass.
I have not owned any Lee equipment and don't know their guarantee. Dillon will pretty much replace anything no matter how it got messed up.

I've looked at some of the Lee stuff and it doesn't look bad. I just would like to learn how they can sell so much cheaper. I got Dillon stuff because the people that taught me reloading said that was what to get. It's expensive but I have to say honestly I have not used any Lee stuff enough to actually know much about them. I'm really hoping there's more to the cost difference than the name. But all the hard core re-loaders I have met all use Dillon stuff, I figured there has to be a reason.

So far tens of thousands of rounds made and no signs of any problem. I still check my loads every so many made but it's never been off after the first 100 rounds. I have heard form others that is not so much the case with Lee stuff...So maybe that's it?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-05-2014, 01:27 AM   #28

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I own the Lee turret press. I am constantly having problems keeping the turret in proper detente. There is a neoprene square timing washer in the bottom that will not stay where it belongs. I finally took the timing rod out and turn the turret manually. I like the press...except for that feature. If the turret does not fall into detente, it will ruin brass. Other than that, it's a nice beginners press, and I have loaded many .380, 9mm, .223, 22-250, 38special, and .40 ammo. I realize there is a learning curve, and I started on the low side of my loads. None of my loads performed very well. I upped the powder until I was happy with the results. Then I wrote down powder load, type of powder, brand of primer, and over all length of bullet/brass. Back to the Lee press...I would buy another. Their warranty is fantastic, and you actually talk to a person when you phone them.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:44 AM   #29
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1200 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 579

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRog View Post
I own the Lee turret press. I am constantly having problems keeping the turret in proper detente. There is a neoprene square timing washer in the bottom that will not stay where it belongs. I finally took the timing rod out and turn the turret manually. I like the press...except for that feature. If the turret does not fall into detente, it will ruin brass. Other than that, it's a nice beginners press, and I have loaded many .380, 9mm, .223, 22-250, 38special, and .40 ammo. I realize there is a learning curve, and I started on the low side of my loads. None of my loads performed very well. I upped the powder until I was happy with the results. Then I wrote down powder load, type of powder, brand of primer, and over all length of bullet/brass. Back to the Lee press...I would buy another. Their warranty is fantastic, and you actually talk to a person when you phone them.
When you're using the Auto Index rod in any Lee Turret press,you have to completely cycle the press handle from top to bottom,and back to the top.
If you don't,the indexing rod will not function properly,and you will have problems with the turret plate not fully seating into the detent ball on the turret base.
It will also damage the nylon bushing the rod is operated with,and it will need to be replaced in order for the press to operate correctly.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 04-09-2014, 01:36 AM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had a Lee press but it wasn't a progressive type, used it for about a year and then when I was putting the crimp on some 223 ammo the hand lever broke at the bottom. It was cast aluminum, since it was barely over a year old Lee would not replace the press. I switched to a RCBS and have not had a problem since. A little more costly but worth the money. (Just my opinion)