Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Turret Vs Progressive (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/turret-vs-progressive-103164/)

texaswoodworker 01-23-2014 03:20 PM

Turret Vs Progressive

I am currently using an old single stage press to reload all my ammo. It works great, but is slow. I'm spending quite a bit of time loading ammo to just get a single box.

So I want something a little faster. Something that would let me crank out 200-300 rounds an hour if I really want to. So I have two choices. A progressive or a turret. Now before you start suggesting something like a Dillion. I don't have $400-$800 to set aside for a new press. As much as I'd like one, it simply won't be happening any time soon.

I'd like to keep the price under $250 if possible.

I have looked a two presses so far. A LEE Load Master progressive press for about $240, and a LEE Classic turret press for $110. I've heard that the Load Master can be problematic and takes some tinkering ever now and then, so I'm leaning towards the classic since it's cheaper, and more reliable. How many rounds an hour could I realistically expect to get out of a press like that?

BTW, I'm reloading mostly pistol calibers and 223.

duddie10 01-23-2014 03:32 PM

Id say ig speed is a must go progresive press. I use a lyman turret press and if works great for my pistol reloads. I just change the turret and onto another caliber i go. Most progresive presses do the same thing to. Personaly if u do go to a progresive press i think dillions 550b is what im guna get. Never had a chance to try lee presses.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Ez2b 01-23-2014 03:38 PM

I use the lee Load master it is a awesome press for me good starter one also.
If money is not an object go with Dylan but for me to lee load master had the best of all worlds.
Check them out on YouTube

EZ

aandabooks 01-23-2014 04:14 PM

About the best I can do on my Lee Turret is 200 an hour for pistol calibers. That is with the cases sized and primed before. I've got my system about as streamlined as I can figure to do it and maintain safety.

Ez2b 01-23-2014 04:37 PM

Lee load master is a progressive press
Much faster than the lee turret
Every pull makes a bullet

EZ

Overkill0084 01-23-2014 04:37 PM

FWIW, I've heard both good & bad regarding the Lee Progressive. I've read that they can be fussy, though I have no direct experience however. The one guy I know that has one, likes his. Though he admits that it sometimes requires a bit of fiddling to keep things going correctly. He doesn't really mind though, others looking for a "set up and go" experience might want to look around some more.
Most of the people I know that shoot IPSC and other high volume disciplines, all use Dillon Progressives of one sort or another.
I don't shoot as much as I did just a year ago, so my Lee Classic Turret works well enough, my production is probably about 100 +/- per hour on a good day. However, mine isn't set up as efficiently as it could be.

Ez2b 01-23-2014 04:43 PM

I agree the Lee Load Master need some fine tuning occasionally but if your mechanically inclined it's not that big of a deal you just gotta stop and look and see what's going on it is usually something stupid like a primer sideways or something of that nature. I can make about 2 to 3 hundred rounds an hour and that's not Rushing that's just taking my time enjoying the hobby.

Because that is what it is it's a hobby gotta keep that in mind

EZ

Steel_Talon 01-23-2014 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 1489526)
I am currently using an old single stage press to reload all my ammo. It works great, but is slow. I'm spending quite a bit of time loading ammo to just get a single box.

So I want something a little faster. Something that would let me crank out 200-300 rounds an hour if I really want to. So I have two choices. A progressive or a turret. Now before you start suggesting something like a Dillion. I don't have $400-$800 to set aside for a new press. As much as I'd like one, it simply won't be happening any time soon.

I'd like to keep the price under $250 if possible.

I have looked a two presses so far. A LEE Load Master progressive press for about $240, and a LEE Classic turret press for $110. I've heard that the Load Master can be problematic and takes some tinkering ever now and then, so I'm leaning towards the classic since it's cheaper, and more reliable. How many rounds an hour could I realistically expect to get out of a press like that?

BTW, I'm reloading mostly pistol calibers and 223.

Brother, if you don't mind tinkering and adjusting that Loadmaster can produce! She'll prrr like a cat laying on a warm window sill.... But she will hiccup now and them.. They're plenty of "you tube" vids to get you through. Plus, I think I have a pretty good sight booked marked that was really helpful when I set mine up.

I will tell you the Lee Classic Turret will also meet your pistol expectations ,esp. if you set up different heads for your calibers, change over is FAST and not complicated. Myself I still load my bulk .223 exclusively on my Lee classic turret Bulk runs of 308 has never been a problem either

Kempf's use to be the place to find the best "KIT" deal on the WEB

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.f lypage&product_id=630&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid =41&vmcchk=1&Itemid=41

Myself I'd go with the turret if my expectations were 3-4 boxes a loading session ... That's about 1k rounds for every 8/10 hours of loading. How many rounds do you shoot in a session? If your numbers are close then go with the Loadmaster.

When I was actively competing, I was shooting 1500 practice rounds a month
minimum that's why I went with a Loadmaster. Now, I have hand loads that will outlast me LOL.

Good luck on your choice..

texaswoodworker 01-23-2014 04:59 PM

I want to be able to load enough that I can go out and shoot a couple hundred rounds a week, but still build up a decent stockpile. Sounds like the Load Master is the press for me then. I'm mechanically inclined, so a little fine tuning shouldn't be a problem. :D

Thanks guys. :)

Steel_Talon 01-23-2014 05:07 PM

http://loadmastervideos.com/