Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Turret or Progressive Press?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice setup bill they look well used!

Old 04-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

If your looking for faster go with a progressive. Everyone I've talked to loves their dillons. I went with a hornady l&l progressive after using the lee loadmaster for awhile and having terrible luck keeping it running. The hornady is a much better platform and splits the difference between cheap (lee) and the best (dillon). If you go with the turret it's ok to go for a lee classic turret as I have one of those too and it has worked flawlessly. The difference in the two is it takes four pulls of the handle per round on the lee for each round versus one pull for each one the progressive once it's going. Effectively four times as fast for pistol rounds. I haven't used the rcbs progressive but I've heard good things about those as well. Work up your loads on the single you have now and get a quality progressive, you won't be sorry you spent the extra cash down the road. :-)

image-3937742648.jpg

image-3236194367.jpg

image-2206147210.jpg

Old 04-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyogre View Post
If your looking for faster go with a progressive. Everyone I've talked to loves their dillons. I went with a hornady l&l progressive after using the lee loadmaster for awhile and having terrible luck keeping it running. The hornady is a much better platform and splits the difference between cheap (lee) and the best (dillon). If you go with the turret it's ok to go for a lee classic turret as I have one of those too and it has worked flawlessly. The difference in the two is it takes four pulls of the handle per round on the lee for each round versus one pull for each one the progressive once it's going. Effectively four times as fast for pistol rounds. I haven't used the rcbs progressive but I've heard good things about those as well. Work up your loads on the single you have now and get a quality progressive, you won't be sorry you spent the extra cash down the road. :-)
Nice little "shack" you have there.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 04-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Why thank you. It keeps me busy on the rainy days. :-)

Old 04-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #15

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The Dillons are great life long loading machines. The Dillon company is the best . They back their products better than any other I have bought from.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:43 AM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

axxe55,

progressives are fast and produce accurate loads..competitors need progressives.

when i need lots of a single caliber, i use a dillon 550 or a square deal b., but most of my loading is 40 of this or 50 of that which is best handled by my lee classic cast turret press. with 25+ die sets in turrets stored in 13 oz coffee cans that can be swapped out in a few seconds, it's more flexible for short runs.

i won't get rid of my dillons, but my lee gets the most use by far.

budman

ignorance is fixable, stupidity is forever...

Old 04-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20017 Times on 11380 Posts
Likes Given: 50504

thanks guys for the input and your suggestions. maybe i need to get a turret press and a progressive! but seriously, thanks and i just need to start doing some pricing. right now i am leaning towards the Dillon as i have heard about their quality, but also have heard they weren't cheap either.