Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Tumbling and Separating Dust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"...the drum and bucket media separator it generates a lot of lead dust ..."

No, it doesn't. There is no "lead" at all in powder or cases, virtually no lead residue even from lead bullets or primers. Any dust you see is coming from the ground up corn cob or walnut shell media itself. If there was even a valid hint of risk from it our benevolent gobbermint/EPA masters would be attemping to control it and would have 2'x3' warning signs permanently affixed to tumblers.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Of course there is lead dust. Don't be rediculous. You should wear a mask when tumbling cases.
Besides, do you think breathing in brass dust, powdered corn cobb or walnut and powder residue is healthy?
You think the EPA gives a sh!t if gun owners poison themselves?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #13

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Of course there is lead dust. Don't be rediculous. You should wear a mask when tumbling cases.
Besides, do you think breathing in brass dust, powdered corn cobb or walnut and powder residue is healthy?
You think the EPA gives a sh!t if gun owners poison themselves?
You have found a home w/ Obama. Scare tactics. That is a bunch of BS!! I stacked hay in barns for years, even stack mesquite charcoal. You are full of something that comes from the south end of a northbound mule.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #14
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ok. Well tumble away on a diaily basis without a mask and when you start getting headaches that aspirin won't get rid of you check back in.
Never underestimate the power of airborne particulate.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #15

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Ok. Well tumble away on a diaily basis without a mask and when you start getting headaches that aspirin won't get rid of you check back in.
Never underestimate the power of airborne particulate.
Started reloading in 1990. No head aches except from BS. Treat your media, you will be amazed how little dust there is. Definately no lead. I reload cast lead in 4 different calibers.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:15 AM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"Of course there is lead dust. Don't be rediculous. You should wear a mask when tumbling cases."

"Brass dust"? Amusing joke or deep wisdom from Chicken Little?

Please note I didn't say "lead dust" doesn't exist, only that it's so minute in anything reloaders do as to be irrelivant if we observe just a tiny bit of common sense - like don't lick your fingers clean after tumbling or bullet casting ... or picking your nose or scratching your fanny, etc. I was a professional industrial safety officer about 8 years so, yeah, I know very well that OSHA/EPA will go anywhere they can extend their gobbermint power hungry hands. But you do whatever it takes for you to be you feel comfortable.

What kind of "mask" do you suggest for safety when tumbling cases? A 'mask' that would sctually help would require particulate cartridge filters and a decent one like that costs from $40 to $60, depending on how frightened you are. But it wouldn't matter at all unless you did tumble all day, every day, while holding your face a foot above an open top tumbler the whole time; few of us would actually do any of that, even you. I've been doing this stuff, including casting, for almost 50 years WITHOUT MASKS of any kind; my blood lead level is quite low. I may briefly have a mild headache about once every two years but I rarely take an aspirin for it. Even so, you may be right and it might all catch up with me someday... but not yet.

Stay safe.

Last edited by 1hole; 09-08-2012 at 02:30 AM.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:17 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5302 Times on 2768 Posts
Likes Given: 334

get rid of the walnut totally and use straight corncob and your dust issues will vanish.

i used to do that similar routine and had massive dust issues.

ps. you guys play nice!! any further bsing at each other will earn some vacation time

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-08-2012, 04:15 AM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2598 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
"...the drum and bucket media separator it generates a lot of lead dust ..."

No, it doesn't. There is no "lead" at all in powder or cases, virtually no lead residue even from lead bullets or primers. Any dust you see is coming from the ground up corn cob or walnut shell media itself. If there was even a valid hint of risk from it our benevolent gobbermint/EPA masters would be attemping to control it and would have 2'x3' warning signs permanently affixed to tumblers.
WRONG!!!!

Almost all primers have lead. Trace amounts, sure. To say there is no lead at all is pure BS. Lead is a hazardous heavy metal. Regularly polishing cases inside CAN be a hazard to small children. Handling spent cases, exposed lead on bullets and shooting in confined spaces (indoor ranges) can be a hazard.

Lead gets into our systems in three ways
1. injestion. You eat it or eat after handling lead
2. inhalation. You breathe it in.
3. Absorption. in can leach through your skin. This is the least likely way to get exposed

If you practice proper precautions you will be fine. Wash your hands thoroughly after handling ammo, cases or shooting.

+100 on the dryer sheets. I tear one in quarters and run it with a batch of brass to all but eliminate the dust.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #19
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I just want to put in a quick final word on this while avoiding to continue the fight or get on either side of it. Dust or no dust, lead or no lead. Science has yet to advance to the point of lung transplants. You only have the two you were born with. Better to err on the side of caution.
(unsubscribing now)

Old 09-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2598 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Lung transplants are being done. The problem with lead is your body mistakes it for calcium and deposits it in the bones. Bone becomes more brittle and the lead can continue to damage organs for long periods of time. Once it is there, it is difficult to remove.

Exercise proper precautions and lead will not be an issue for you. I shoot, reload and cast bullets. I have my lead levels checked at my annual physical exam. I actually got mine DOWN over the last few years. I believe Metamucil aided in the reduction.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Blkbear Likes This