tumbling live ammo? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > tumbling live ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1433 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYBOB44 View Post
Good call, Cane. This old fart just noticed the Moderator title under your name==CONDRATS!!!
Thanks Billy.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #32
zap

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
You asked we all agreed and then you tell us that you don't care.

So why did you ask the question in the first place if you knew from the beginning that you were going to do it? That just get me a little hot. Not only are you wasting my time you are eating up bandwidth with useless crap.
First, you are completely in error with this statement. I didn't ask this question, I only offered my experience to the OP.

I NEVER said that I didn't care. Had I not cared, I would not have followed up with the other side of the discussion.

Pardon me that you felt insulted when confronted with a question about the opposite side of the argument. Clearly I was mistaken when I thought this was a forum where one could discuss topics and the merits of them rationally and logically.

Quote:
If you read any reloading manual it tells you not to do it. If you read ammo cartons it tells you not to do it. I am sorry anyone that says an ammo company has ammo going off in the plant and everything is not shut down within 15 seconds is so dumb that they should not be allowed to breed or breath.
Well, your ignorance of whom I speak makes that reasonable from your position I guess. But, not from mine.

Quote:
Reloading is not some fly by night operation. It takes me hours to craft my rifle ammunition. I do the same thing every time all the time. It was the way I was taught. This is not something you friggen screw with.
The interesting thing is that I have been reloading since 1982 -granted, not a long time compared to some. However, I came here looking for good loads for a .223 as I'd never loaded those before.

Amazing how one's character and knowledge are crucified when they question -though in the spirit of discussion- the immediately offered position from the long-term members here.

Good day Gentlemen.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #33

Default Cease and desist

Gentlemen, please do not engage zap on this issue. He has made his point, we have expressed ours. The FTF has expressed our safety concern with regards to tumbling live ammo. I think it’s safe to assume zap, a junior member with 10 posts, disagrees with our stand on this issue.

If we are to retain the respect for the fruits of our labor (and the testing conducted by Tango) we need to see this argument as it is, a hung jury. Additional arguing will prove nothing and only fuel zap’s claim of piling on.

I do not want to lock this thread but at this point I’m provided with few options.

I will not ban zap for expressing his point of view but to all: don’t force this to any higher level.

Let us agree to disagree, and state that the FTF has expressed a safety concern with the act of tumbling live ammo. If zap or any other reader of this thread elects to ignore our position on this issue, we are held harmless to any issues resulting from the disregard of our warning.

I invite zap to revisit this thread should he continue to safely tumble live ammo but with this one caveat; If you do blow your fingers off or lose an eye or two in the future, that you would report back with that piece of information.

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 05-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #34

Default A Third and Nuetral Opion on this!

Hey folks was just reading your guys post because I have some .308 ammo I bought from sportsman guide in the green 20rd box's and its somewhat corroded, 1980's stuff. I am not taking sides at all, just cumming into this so please easy everyone.

As an unbiased 3rd party I can see both points of view. On one hand the one gentleman who wants to tumble ammo is giving reasons why he thinks it is ok based on certain evidence he sites, that a very experienced and trusted reloaded has advised him of this. On the other hand the other gentleman are citing serious safety concerns as to why they believe it should not be done.

I completely can appreciate both sides and understand that safety is a very important consideration.

I assert that there may not be a right or wrong answer to this question and that everyone must consider some of the following factors before making a decision whether in their particular situation to tumble live ammo.

1. how many pounds of force does it take to set off a primer?
For hand guns I believe it is less than for rifle primers?

2. Is a round tumbling in side of your particular tumbler able to produce any thing close to this amount of force?

3. Is the location of your tumbler far away from other people and structures. Do you live in an urban or rural area?

4. Is there a way of turning on your tumbler by plugging in an extension cord at some safe distance. (ex. 100ft extension cord)

5. Do you have old plywood or other shrapnel blockers that you can place around your tumbler.

6. could any injury or property damage occur if you were to place the tumbler in a remote location with shrapnel blockers and engage it by pluging in a long extension cord from a distant outlet.

7. Is there any safer, easier, feasible, alternative to clean your live rounds than tumbling them.

8. If you put sufficient safeguards in place as mention, is the safety of your self or others at risk?

9. Any other factors that you may want to consider that I failed to mention.

Once you have answered these questions then you can make a safe and logical decision about tumbling live rounds. If in you situation there arises a dilemma between safety vs tumbling, you should always error on the side of safety, but this is answered on an individual bases.

P.S. Just for reference purposes I did randomly find another thread from another forum on this topic from google when I searched.
Tumbling loaded rounds? [Archive] - THR

With best intentions and the utmost respect for
you all.

beltfedboy

Old 05-09-2009, 02:30 AM   #35

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Umpire?

First of all,beltfed, welcome to the forum-stop by the intro. section, and tell us about yourself. Second-this forum really doesn't need an "Umpire"=we have people in place for that-their called Moderators. All who stay on this forum are on the same team, and play (Fight) against those who wish to remove our 2ND Ammen. Rights from us. Third- your itemized 9 steps, from what I can read, only addresses detonation of live ammo, while in the tumbler. This is NOT the real cause for concern. The main unknown, is what kind of shape is the powder in after the loaded rounds have been tumbled? All gun powder has a different burn rate due to many different factors. The one that should concern the Handloader the most (in regard to tumbling), is the coating on the powder grains. There is a certain amount of "sifting" that takes place to the powder grains inside the case while tumbling. This WILL change the burn rate of that powder-possibly to dangerous levels. The tumbled powder will be "sifted", and possibly "ground up", and will burn at a much faster rate. This very likely will cause a case rupture, and likely firearm/shooter damage. If your .308 loads were placed in the tumbler with a charge of 45gr. of IMR4064, and tumbled for a time, the powder may be sifted into Bullseye burn rates? Can you imagine 45gr. of Bullseye behind a 150gr. JSP. in a .308? That spells damage to: Gun-shooter+by-standers. This is what brought all the "Anti-tumble loaded rounds" people to the post. I would hope that you will consider this "Theory" before you decide to shoot any rounds after they were tumbled "live"

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 05-09-2009, 03:07 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYBOB44 View Post
First of all,beltfed, welcome to the forum-stop by the intro. section, and tell us about yourself. Second-this forum really doesn't need an "Umpire"=we have people in place for that-their called Moderators. All who stay on this forum are on the same team, and play (Fight) against those who wish to remove our 2ND Ammen. Rights from us. Third- your itemized 9 steps, from what I can read, only addresses detonation of live ammo, while in the tumbler. This is NOT the real cause for concern. The main unknown, is what kind of shape is the powder in after the loaded rounds have been tumbled? All gun powder has a different burn rate due to many different factors. The one that should concern the Handloader the most (in regard to tumbling), is the coating on the powder grains. There is a certain amount of "sifting" that takes place to the powder grains inside the case while tumbling. This WILL change the burn rate of that powder-possibly to dangerous levels. The tumbled powder will be "sifted", and possibly "ground up", and will burn at a much faster rate. This very likely will cause a case rupture, and likely firearm/shooter damage. If your .308 loads were placed in the tumbler with a charge of 45gr. of IMR4064, and tumbled for a time, the powder may be sifted into Bullseye burn rates? Can you imagine 45gr. of Bullseye behind a 150gr. JSP. in a .308? That spells damage to: Gun-shooter+by-standers. This is what brought all the "Anti-tumble loaded rounds" people to the post. I would hope that you will consider this "Theory" before you decide to shoot any rounds after they were tumbled "live"
Thank you BILLYBOB.

- orangello

Old 05-13-2009, 07:05 AM   #37

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

no worries here...i sold the ammo i tumbled to some 80 year old lady.(J/K)....but yeah...i did tumble it after i was told by the more experienced reloaders on this forum told me it was a no-no...thank you all for your input.i knew it was a no-go but i wanted to see if anyone had done it and been doing it without any hiccups?.but being that i dont have a bullet puller of any type & will probably never own one..sense i was bored and have two tumblers...i went on and did it.(ya'll must not have seen all what few topics i have posted?)lol..i shot a few rounds...they went boom,but i'm leaving it at that...i have 20 times the ammo in 45acp alone to shoot up...so as for the purrrrdy polished shinny questionable ammo that it is now...its tucked away in a .50cal ammo can for either a very desperate rainny day or maybe it will wind up in the hands of the (i'm coming for all the guns obama's robot staff) to have fun with & shoot......only if dreams came true...?

Last edited by m72law; 05-14-2009 at 01:24 AM.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #38

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
no worries here...i sold the ammo i tumbled to some 80 year old lady
OMG I can't believe you just said that. That right there is the biggest DOUCHE BAG move I have heard of.

You sir need to give away your firearms and ammo.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

m72law was kidding about selling the tumbled ammo, wasn't he??????

You can lead a horse to water...........

This thread reminds me how "fun" it was to raise a bunch of kids through their teenage years......

TXnorton

Old 05-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #40

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

of course i was kidding...