Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > tumbling live ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 06:34 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

RL tell us how you really feel don't hold back this time.

I was trying to be a little nice about it. But hey if it works it works.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #22

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Well...one day...........when I was in band camp............there was this guy.....and he cleaned his ammo.........well for like......all summer.........and he says..........like it shoots........perfectly........at bullseyes!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-06-2009, 08:56 PM   #23

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Some people you just can't reach.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-07-2009, 12:54 AM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
I ran this question by a guy I know who has loaded for a lot of years longer than I have. He advised that he doesn't think twice about tumbling live ammo.

When I inquired as to why, and mentioned some of the issues brought out in this thread, he told me that he has been to some of the ammo loading plants (olin I think) and said they ALWAYS tumble live ammo before they package it. He said they do indeed have a round or two go off now and then but no damage is caused when that happens. Also, the huge numbers of live rounds they tumble daily negates any statistical probability of harm by a round going off in a tumbler. Besides, since no pressure builds up as it would in a chamber of a gun, there is no real harm.

My understanding is they tumble live stuff the same reason I've done it -to remove any residue from the loading process which might fowl the gun after repeated firings.

I'm not at all trying to start a war here. However, it appears there are more than one way to view this practice.
Not to call your friend a liar....but this is a complete crock of BS! Brass is tumbled BEFORE the loading process - there is no "residue" from the loading process when new ammunition is made. I tumble my brass twice - once BEFORE I size the brass to remove carbon fouling from fired cases (which is unneceessary for Ammo Manufacturers since they use virgin brass), and the second time AFTER the brass is sized to remove sizing lube. Ammunition Co's tumble brass AFTER sixing and BEFORE the loading process begins. Read a reloading manual from ANY ammo manufacturer and they will specifically mention the dangers of tumbling loaded ammo! It isn't wise to disseminate potentially dangerous information on a public forum without first doing some research.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-07-2009 at 12:58 AM.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:36 AM   #25
zap

It seems you guys are rather touchy...and pouty too.

I said I did not intend to start a war and meant just that.

Just because I question your opinions/experience/knowledge, does not mean I am rejecting it. I am offering a differing point of view (from one I trust and know knows what he is talking about -regardless of your scorn) to the one you all seem to agree on.

If you cannot give justifyable and logical reasoning why as RL357Mag did in PART of his post, then I have to wonder why. If you resort to flaming me for asking about the other side of the argument, then I have to wonder why.

I came here asking for advice and you all answered me. Thank you.

However, if you all turn into a pack of piriah when anyone dares ask questions about your opinions....it seems there is more (or less rather) here than meets there eye. I did not take an ill tone with any of you. How do you justify this sort of tone toward me?

Old 05-07-2009, 02:16 AM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:

Just because I question your opinions/experience/knowledge, does not mean I am rejecting it. I am offering a differing point of view (from one I trust and know knows what he is talking about -regardless of your scorn) to the one you all seem to agree on.

If you cannot give justifyable and logical reasoning why as RL357Mag did in PART of his post, then I have to wonder why. If you resort to flaming me for asking about the other side of the argument, then I have to wonder why.

However, if you all turn into a pack of piriah when anyone dares ask questions about your opinions....it seems there is more (or less rather) here than meets there eye. I did not take an ill tone with any of you. How do you justify this sort of tone toward me?
Most of us would rather not see anyone win the "Darwin" award. Reloading and altering ammunition in general is a dangerous proposition for the uninformed. And there is liability involved with disseminating information - good or bad, accurate or innaccurate. Last year the issue of discussing peoples' pet loads came up. It was stated that maybe this wasn't a good idea, since a typographical error could have catastrophic results for someone not used to reloading or not familiar with various powders and having access to appropriate and verifiable load data. This topic however leaves no doubt of the danger involved and it has been stated by several posters that tumbling loaded ammo is NOT adviseable. I took it a step further and attempted to explain why. If you feel the need to tumble your loaded ammo I have no problem with that, since it is you who will ultimately learn the hard way that your "friend" doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. This warning is given in most reloading manuals and is readily available online to anyone who wishes to verify the voracity of my information. When I began reloading almost 20 years ago, the thought of tumbling loaded ammo to make it look pretty crossed my mind as well, but a quick search through the Sierra Rifle Reloading Manual 50th edition pg. 137 ("handloaders should NEVER tumble loaded ammunition") quickly dissuaded me from doing so. If you feel your friend is more knowledgeable than the professionals at Sierra - have at it! Maybe you'll get lucky and nothing will happen - but maybe you won't. Obviously the decision is yours - nuff said.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-07-2009 at 02:22 AM.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:42 AM   #27

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:

"touchy...and pouty too." I think NOT. What we ARE, is a group(NOT "pack of piriah") of safety conscious men+women that are trying to help each other in their favorite hobby. We try to advise people the best (and safest) ways to enjoy this hobby. When someone suggests what we believe is unsafe, yes we will jump in to voice our disdain for this practice-that's what we do! In the end you'll do what you want anyway=Just don't try to get the Seasoned Handloader to agree with UNSAFE handloading procedures!

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Last edited by BILLYBOB44; 05-07-2009 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Neat post #Huh

Old 05-07-2009, 03:02 AM   #28

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

OK guys, we have done our due diligence here.

zap's tea cup is full and we're only filling up his saucer.

I'm asking my "pack of piriah?" to pack it up in the attempt to provide our new friend with our safety experience.

I am proud of your effort but see it futile to attempt more convincing.

I can't afford to have my experienced guys wasting their time when we have other members seeking information.

Thanks gentlemen.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-07-2009, 03:09 AM   #29

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:

You asked we all agreed and then you tell us that you don't care. So why did you ask the question in the first place if you knew from the beginning that you were going to do it? That just get me a little hot. Not only are you wasting my time you are eating up bandwidth with useless crap.

If you read any reloading manual it tells you not to do it. If you read ammo cartons it tells you not to do it. I am sorry anyone that says an ammo company has ammo going off in the plant and everything is not shut down within 15 seconds is so dumb that they should not be allowed to breed or breath.

Reloading is not some fly by night operation. It takes me hours to craft my rifle ammunition. I do the same thing every time all the time. It was the way I was taught. This is not something you friggen screw with.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #30

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
OK guys, we have done our due diligence here.

zap's tea cup is full and we're only filling up his saucer.

I'm asking my "pack of piriah?" to pack it up in the attempt to provide our new friend with our safety experience.

I am proud of your effort but see it futile to attempt more convincing.

I can't afford to have my experienced guys wasting their time when we have other members seeking information.

Thanks gentlemen.
Good call, Cane. This old fart just noticed the Moderator title under your name==CONDRATS!!!

NRA Life MEMBER 1976