tumbling live ammo?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > tumbling live ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Default tumbling live ammo?

i was just wondering if anyone has ever tried this without any problems?...just wondering cause a buddy of mine gave me about 1500rds of fmj .45acp's..looks like some old military rounds..IDK?..most are tarnished and some have corrosion on them...Should i attemp to clean'em...or just shoot'em up...before they rot away....he also gave me some 32 winchester ammo...?..looks like a 30-30 but IDK?....can these rounds be shot through a 30-30..?..prob not huh?...but anyways why i asked that also he gave me some 32 S&Wlongs that shoot great in my old nagant pistol...these bullets look very old...i would like to tumble these also if possable?..thanks for any info

Last edited by m72law; 04-12-2009 at 03:56 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
zap

I've tumbled newly loaded stuff to clean them up without a problem.

If have ammo and you don't know what it is for sure...keep it out of your guns. Period.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Do not clean in case cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
i was just wondering if anyone has ever tried this without any problems?...just wondering cause a buddy of mine gave me about 1500rds of fmj .45acp's..looks like some old military rounds..IDK?..most are tarnished and some have corrosion on them...Should i attemp to clean'em...or just shoot'em up...before they rot away....he also gave me some 32 winchester ammo...?..looks like a 30-30 but IDK?....can these rounds be shot through a 30-30..?..prob not huh?...but anyways why i asked that also he gave me some 32 S&Wlongs that shoot great in my old nagant pistol...these bullets look very old...i would like to tumble these also if possable?..thanks for any info
DO NOT TUMBLE LOADED AMMO!! Read previous threads/post on cleaning loaded ammo. This is NOT a SAFE practice, and should not be done. I would NOT shoot very old Mil.Surplus ammo, in my .45, but I guess that's your call. With that amount(1500rds of fmj.) I would probably dis-assemble, inspect, and use what I could, with NEW powder for the loads. DO NOT SHOOT 32 Win.loads in any 30-30. Some folks pay good $ for old loads like the 32 Win. I would try to sell/trade the 32 Win. loads for something I could use. Just my 2cents worth on these topics.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 04-13-2009, 06:15 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Tumbling live ammo can break down the powder inside the case, changing the burn rate. If you intend to pull the ammo apart for components to reload, the powder deterioration won't matter, as long as you don't reuse the powder.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

That is indeed a controversial topic. You will get many different opinions on tumbling live ammo. Nearly all will agree NEVER TUMBLE RIMFIRE AMMO.

Have I done it? Yes.

Would I do it again? No.

If the ammo is simply dull from age, shoot it up. If it is corroded, Tear it down for components.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default tumbling loaded rounds

I would strongly discourage tumbling any loaded rounds as well. I view it kind of like sifting flour. You have all those flakes/granules/whatever that are all nice and comfy, getting along real well with their neighbor. You sift them (or tumble them as the case may be) and you get them all shook up. Next thing you know, the flakes are next to some flake they may not get along very well with and they fight. Then you've got real problems.

Seriously though, by tumbling loaded rounds, you run into three potentially dangerous situations: 1) the powder could become more compacted resulting in a different burn (or incomplete burn in some cases). This could drastically affect pressure levels. 2) if using pointed bullet types, you would run a risk of causing a discharge (so I hear, I have never actually seen it happen nor talked with anybody that has). 3) if tumbling in walnut media, you run a slim chance of some of the media getting lodged in the primer pocket next to the primer. This could cause a malfunction as the bolt closes, either a premature detonation or an incomplete lockup. In high pressure rounds, an incomplete lockup could be disasterous.

I think a better way to clean the rounds would be to hand polish them. Yes, it would be a real PITA, but it would also be much safer.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:31 AM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Here is the link to the test I ran a while ago. I stand by my results and will not do it. The guys writing the rules at the powder company know a whole lot more than I do. If they say don't do then don't so it.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f63/tumbling-loaded-ammo-test-5296/

Old 04-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #8

Default Tumbling live ammo

cpttango30...for some reason, it says I do not have permission to view your results.

Any way to disassemble and reuse all the components?

Best,
Jim

Old 05-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #9

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

i also do not have "permission"

Old 05-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #10

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Oh yah you have to be a supporting member to see that and many other good write ups on many many things.

I am holding a drawing where I pay your year of FTF then you have to do the same for someone else. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/tangos-may-madness-giveaway-13392/

In short I took some ammo loaded it with short cut, ball and regular stick powder with mid range loads in 308 win with 155gr bullets. and tumbled it. I did find some powder was breaking down. Me personally I tumble my brass enough to not warrant tumbling loaded ammo.

You know there is reason behind the warnings from the manufactures it is not all CYA all the time. There had to be something happen to someone for them to print that.