Tula Berdan Primed Ammo corrosive/rusting firing pin module/housings - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Tula Berdan Primed Ammo corrosive/rusting firing pin module/housings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 11:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMCHAMPION1988 View Post
WD-40 REALLY
At one point WD40 was the most highly recommended gun cleaner/lubricant on the market. Mixing WD40 with CLP or other gun cleaning products isn't real good. When I buy a product to clean my gun I am buying it because it is the best on the market as is. If I wanted to mix my own concoction I would use transmission fluid and a little marvel mystery oil. I wouldn't waste $10 on a can of CLP.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:29 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6789 Times on 3609 Posts
Likes Given: 506

I would never use atf fluid for anything but shifting gears. Its mildly toxic and has a very low flashpoint similar to jetfuel...

It acts like denatured alcohol in its ability to remove skin oils which can lead to very bad skin cracks. You don't want this. I had it happen to me it took two months of gluing my skin together so it could grow out enough after a hole in my glove allowed stripper to get in... don't recomend it.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 03-24-2014, 02:38 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I should have said different words I don't like cleaning but i don't mind it either

The guy never states what brand country of origin his AK is though. I was just relaying the info of an article about some guy somewhere with a X-Type AK47 never Taking apart his Firing Pin/Module/Housing to clean the hole where the firing pin lives and he says that Berdan Primers are corrosive and rusting his firing pin module from the inside out. The ammo he is talking about is Tula (non corrosive),Berdan Primed,Made in Russia ammo. I happened to buy the exact same ammo recently to shoot in my 6 Month old Maadi

My Maadi AK is Brand New had it 6 months before that i had a Romanian Ak 5 years ago. I am only concerned because i read the article about the guy who rusted his Firing Pin Module on his AK47 (X-Meaning unknown) X-Type AK.

Sorry for any confusion i was just getting answers because i shot the same type of ammo and i myself never. Go into Taking apart the Firing Pin Module down to the bare firing pin to clean i just simply drop these 2 chemicals down the little hole. Ballistol,CLP,Gun Scrubber Via DROPPER BOTTLE.

Last edited by CAMCHAMPION1988; 03-24-2014 at 02:43 AM.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:58 AM   #14

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I would never use atf fluid for anything but shifting gears. Its mildly toxic and has a very low flashpoint similar to jetfuel...

It acts like denatured alcohol in its ability to remove skin oils which can lead to very bad skin cracks. You don't want this. I had it happen to me it took two months of gluing my skin together so it could grow out enough after a hole in my glove allowed stripper to get in... don't recomend it.
Any petroleum distillate might cause skin irritation. Comparing denatured alcohol to ATF is like comparing an atom bomb to plastic explosives as far as the chance of skin irritation.

I am sure ATF might explode if you put in a paint sprayer then fogged a room with it. But WD40 is far more flammable than ATF. In fact, almost any petroleum product once it is atomized is highly flammable. Should we not use anything that comes out of a spray can?

I have sprayed WD40 in locked up small engines. Hauled the engine home. Once I was at home I pulled the rope and the engine fired with nothing but the WD40 in it. I have seen people use WD40 as starting fluid. Should we not use WD40 either?

Old 03-24-2014, 03:04 AM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Any petroleum distillate might cause skin irritation. Comparing denatured alcohol to ATF is like comparing an atom bomb to plastic explosives as far as the chance of skin irritation.

I am sure ATF might explode if you put in a paint sprayer then fogged a room with it. But WD40 is far more flammable than ATF. In fact, almost any petroleum product once it is atomized is highly flammable. Should we not use anything that comes out of a spray can?

I have sprayed WD40 in locked up small engines. Hauled the engine home. Once I was at home I pulled the rope and the engine fired with nothing but the WD40 in it. I have seen people use WD40 as starting fluid. Should we not use WD40 either?
the current WD-40 will not start a diesel engine or even a gas engine like it did in the past.

and ATF is very flammable. we use it to prime fuel filters in diesel engines when they are replaced. it also helps to lubricate the injectors.

i wouldn't buy WD-40 anymore simply because it's not the same product as years ago. and yes i have used WD-40 in the past for a starting fluid. but that was years ago. that is also why i refuse to use in any my guns anymore.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:14 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4374 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 2190

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMCHAMPION1988 View Post
The guy never states what brand country of origin his AK is though. I was just relaying the info of an article about some guy somewhere with a X-Type AK47 never Taking apart his Firing Pin/Module/Housing to clean the hole where the firing pin lives and he says that Berdan Primers are corrosive and rusting his firing pin module from the inside out. The ammo he is talking about is Tula (non corrosive),Berdan Primed,Made in Russia ammo. I happened to buy the exact same ammo recently to shoot in my 6 Month old Maadi

My Maadi AK is Brand New had it 6 months before that i had a Romanian Ak 5 years ago. I am only concerned because i read the article about the guy who rusted his Firing Pin Module on his AK47 (X-Meaning unknown) X-Type AK.

Sorry for any confusion i was just getting answers because i shot the same type of ammo and i myself never. Go into Taking apart the Firing Pin Module down to the bare firing pin to clean i just simply drop these 2 chemicals down the little hole. Ballistol,CLP,Gun Scrubber Via DROPPER BOTTLE.
You do not need to disassemble the bolt every time. It won't hurt, just not necessary. I can't vouch for every parts-bin AK, but rusting on the inside from normal operation/maintenance is extremely unusual. There are all kinds of scary stories about some guy somewhere. Have fun shooting the rifle, sounds like it is in good hands. BTW cleaning does have a way of making me happy too... when it's done

Old 03-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8012 Times on 4383 Posts
Likes Given: 7763

Unless there are serious problems with the chamber, there's no way for the powder gases and primer debris to get into the firing pin channel.

The case head covers the firing pin channel until the bolt is all the way back and the ejector pushes the case out.

Or at least they did before political correctness
People Like This