Tula Berdan Primed Ammo corrosive/rusting firing pin module/housings
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Tula Berdan Primed Ammo corrosive/rusting firing pin module/housings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Tula Berdan Primed Ammo corrosive/rusting firing pin module/housings

This really got me thinking so i recently got a Egyptian Maadi AK-47/AKM and the first and only thing i have shot in it is. Tula 122gr Steel Cased 7.62x39mm Berdan Primed non corrosive you know the cheapest stuff you can get nowadays. Got it at walmart for $5.47 a box 20 per box anyways now i know it says it is not corrosive. However i was just reading somewhere how that even though the powder they use is not corrosive the Berdan primers are corrosive. I guess it is better to assume that yes the Berdan primers are than not right. Anyways so i just field stripped the gun about a week ago i use a combination of Ballistol,CLP,Gunscrubber,Hoppes 9 Solvent. Always all these Chemicals/Lubes whatever gun i am cleaning whether it is my (my Prized no longer Italian Imported Beretta 92FS,1911'S Inox,Glocks,AK'S,Shotguns you know etc.)

Off topic LOL anyways i read recently i can't remember where where a guy way shooting the above mentioned tula ammo same weght/grain caliber etc. Well i guess his firing pin module/housing you know that little hole where the firing pin lives got all rusted from the inside out from what he claims was the berdan Primers of the above mentioned ammo????? he said he never disassembled the firing pin module/housing to be never taking apart and cleaning the actual Firing Pin Module/Housing.

Now usually when i clean a gun i don't take apart the firing pin My Method for Cleaning and Preventing rust in the Firing Pin Module/Housing is what i call "DROPPER BOTTLE" it is described as follows i just take these eyedropper needle bottles filled with CLP,Ballistol,Gun Scrubber and drip all 3 yes all three of these chemicals into the little hole where the firing pin lives. I obviously scrub the entire gun with all of these chemicals with brushes and wipe until white with patches,Run Bore Snake and Hoppes 9 solvent and patches though the barrel till patches are whiter than snow. But i never really thought about taking apart the Firing Pin Module/Housing should i be doing that. I mean i take pride and Care for my Guns obsessively.

My (No Longer Italian Impored 92FS Beretta Inox is what i worry about the most) even though i don't shoot steel cased and/or berdan primed ammo in that Heirloom. I think i have actually only ever disassembled my Glock Firing Pin Modules down to the bare firing pin for cleaning itself now that i think about it. Bottom line i guess don't quote me on this i was only told by someone at the range after i told them about the article i read. Berdan Primers are Corrosive even though the powder in the steel case it not WOW PLEASE I HOPE I AM WRONG ON THIS. But then again also i was told that powder/carbon and dirt will eventually attract moisture (even if it not Corrosive ammo or Berdan Primed) That is why i am so OCD about my Gun Cleaning it is blessing and a curse

So any of you guys Completely Disassemble your Firing Pin/Modules down to the bare firing pin whenever you clean regardless of firing Berdan Primed ammo?

My "DROPPER BOTTLE" Method should be sufficient at keeping my Guns that i have fired Berdan Primed ammo Free of Rust right??? Or is a Firing Pin Module/Housing Complete Disassembly Necessary??? i Have been shooting for 11 years and this is the first time i have ever heard of this scared me a little like i said.

Thanks fellow powder burners.

Last edited by CAMCHAMPION1988; 03-23-2014 at 08:12 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9150 Times on 3952 Posts
Likes Given: 1427

First, do not think there has been a "corrosive" powder since we stopped using black powder.

Second, being Berdan or Boxer does not make a primer corrosive. Primers that everyone used for years were based on potassium chlorate- which burns to potassium chloride- first cousin to table salt. Add moisture, you have rust- hence corrosive. US military used "corrosive" primers up to 1952, M1 carbine excepted. Then they changed to "non-corrosive" primers, based on lead azide.

I shoot a lot of commie milsurp ammo, and recall that the commie guns were designed to shoot that. I do not detail strip the bolt on every gun every time I go shooting- but 11 years is pushing the envelope a bit.

Flushing out the firing pin channel is good, but would probably detail strip and clean about every 5K rounds/ 5 yrs or so. Depending on your climate, your mileage may vary.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 561 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 2830

After having my SKS sitting in the case for several years, and deciding to clean it several months ago, I took the bolt carrier apart to include taking out the firing pin. This was the first time I ever even thought to clean that part of my rifle. I have only put maybe 600 to 700 rounds through it since I got it in 94, I had always cleaned it, sometimes soon after shooting it. But I had never cleaned the guts of the bolt before. This was now 19 years after first getting and using my SKS. I have used almost always the cheapest old milsurp steel cased ammo. Anyway the carrier group and firing pin still looked fine, and showed no signs of rust or corrosion. Lucky for me.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1854 Times on 1270 Posts
Likes Given: 681

I do not shoot milsurp ammo of any kind. But I have shot a lot of comblock ammo in all my guns. When I get a gun new I clean the firing pin assembly and lubricate it with white lithium grease. I do not give the firing pin assembly any further care. Depending on how often I shoot the gun I clean the firing pin assembly every 1 to 5 years. I have never seen any rust or accelerated wear to the firing pin.

Back in the 80's I wore the firing pin carrier out on a Westernfield pump shotgun. At that time I just lubricated the firing pin by squirting WD40 on the firing pin. The Westernfield shot an untold number of rounds. It was never stored in a house. I always kept it in a barn. There was an exercise track that I frequented that had a spring trap that threw skeet out over a pond. Not only did I shoot a lot of skeet over the pond anyone who wanted to use the shotgun also shot skeet with it.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

A lot of these interweb gurus will take guns apart and "polish" the internals. What this does is forcefully remove protective coatings off internal parts making it very easy for rust to build up. Polishing surfaces in a gun is seldom a good idea.

Trying to shortcut time and use ends up with rusty useless junk.

If your concerned about corrosive salts hoppes9 was designed to flush those salts away.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-23-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2217 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 1150

Do it just once, take the bolt apart, scrub away the rust, and youre gtg for a long time. It's an AK. Field strip every time after range, oil, store in a dry place. Don't worry about Tulammo and such, presume it corrosive no matter what the box says. I start every cleaning with a little water, then as usual.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:52 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Very Interesting

WD-40 REALLY I heard that a lot of folks add it in addition to Chemicals like CLP etc. when cleaning guns I mean it says on the Can one of it's attributes is to draw out moisture i mean it couldn't hurt.

Yeah the only ammo i shoot that i guess you could call commie is that Tula and wolf (made in russia). only for my AK though other than that it is Brass Ammo (USA Made) (Through my Italian Beretta Heirloom or any of my Handguns,Rifles,Shotguns).

I love cleaning my guns it is actually an activity i can say i like doing but taking apart and putting back together certain mechanisms of certain and/or all Firearms can be a bitch Y'all know that though.
I have never done this but i guess there is a DVD out there that shows how to 100% Complete Detail Disassembly and Reassembly of the Beretta 92 (it says a complete detail strip dissasembly and reassembly should only be done by a Gunsmith because of all these little springs that are essential to the operation of the 92 that are inside the more complex mechanism of the Beretta 92. (Like on the manual or something is where it says that). Damm i wish there was like a Free Detail Strip video for the Beretta 92 like on youtube or something. (My Glocks are the Only Gun i have ever 100% Detail Stripped Disassembled and Reassembled since there are free vids of Glock Detail Strips on youtube)

Cool i am glad to hear that you think adding those 3 Chemicals via DROPPER BOTTLES will flush out any and all corrosive/rust making **** out of the Firing Pin hole/Channel/Module/Housing. Yeah i will in the future though definitely make an effort to disassemble the Firing Pin Modules on my guns for a Complete Cleaning.

So now people are blaming the salts in Berdan Primers for corrosion who knows oh well.

Last edited by CAMCHAMPION1988; 03-23-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-23-2014, 05:30 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2217 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 1150

I didn't realize you love cleaning. This may be the wrong rifle for you.
Seriously though, we can't know what exactly caused a refurbished Egyptian mil surp AK to rust. Odds are, if it is mechanically sound, it will do fine with any ammo it was built to fire. Firing pins btw are replaceable and inexpensive.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMCHAMPION1988 View Post
WD-40 REALLY I heard that a lot of folks add it in addition to Chemicals like CLP etc. when cleaning guns I mean it says on the Can one of it's attributes is to draw out moisture i mean it couldn't hurt.

Yeah the only ammo i shoot that i guess you could call commie is that Tula and wolf (made in russia). only for my AK though other than that it is Brass Ammo (USA Made) (Through my Italian Beretta Heirloom or any of my Handguns,Rifles,Shotguns).

I love cleaning my guns it is actually an activity i can say i like doing but taking apart and putting back together certain mechanisms of certain and/or all Firearms can be a bitch Y'all know that though.
I have never done this but i guess there is a DVD out there that shows how to 100% Complete Detail Disassembly and Reassembly of the Beretta 92 (it says a complete detail strip dissasembly and reassembly should only be done by a Gunsmith because of all these little springs that are essential to the operation of the 92 that are inside the more complex mechanism of the Beretta 92. (Like on the manual or something is where it says that). Damm i wish there was like a Free Detail Strip video for the Beretta 92 like on youtube or something. (My Glocks are the Only Gun i have ever 100% Detail Stripped Disassembled and Reassembled since there are free vids of Glock Detail Strips on youtube)

Cool i am glad to hear that you think adding those 3 Chemicals via DROPPER BOTTLES will flush out any and all corrosive/rust making **** out of the Firing Pin hole/Channel/Module/Housing. Yeah i will in the future though definitely make an effort to disassemble the Firing Pin Modules on my guns for a Complete Cleaning.

So now people are blaming the salts in Berdan Primers for corrosion who knows oh well.
i used WD-40 for many years a long time ago, because my father did. i highly suspect the current product isn't exactly the same product of years ago, and have found other products that work much better, even as a penetrating oil than WD-40, like Kano Kroil. Kroil has to be one of the best i have found and is my go to general purpose cleaner, penetrant and bore solvent and rust remover. Lucas makes a great gun oil that works awesome and has replaced my use of the standard i used for years, RemOil.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2860 Times on 1490 Posts
Likes Given: 254

As stated, no smokeless powder is corrosive. One should always treat Berdan primers as if they are corrosive. Then you will never be surprised

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball