Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   trying to decide on a caliper and a tumbler (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/trying-decide-caliper-tumbler-56731/)

jjfuller1 01-31-2012 10:54 PM

trying to decide on a caliper and a tumbler

trying to decide on a caliper and a tumbler. what brands/models do you guys like? ive read some reviews on a few and most seem to be all 50/50 on pros cons

Sport45 02-01-2012 02:43 AM

It's hard to beat $9.99 for the Harbor Freight digital caliper. That's the sale price they often sell for. Just keep a few extra batteries around. I've been using my Lyman Turbo 1200 (or something like that) for at least a decade and it's still going strong. I haven't looked at current models, so I don't know where the deals are now.

I also have a Starrett dial caliper as well as a Midway branded dialcaliper. The HF digital and the two dial calipers always agree whenever I check them out side by side.

robocop10mm 02-01-2012 04:03 AM

It kind of depends on your intended use. I have an RCBS dial caliper (plastic one) that I have used for over 20 years. Mostly use if for case length measurement and it is fine. I end up with the occasional oddball bullet that I have to determine what caliber it is. The caliper is not precise, but I can figure it out against a known bullet.

As far as polishers goes, I have burned up at least 4 Lyman turbo 1200's. I load thousands each month and the polisher gets a bunch of use. My latest acquisition was the Midway (frankfort arsenal) $40 tumbler. So far so good.

adkins 02-01-2012 07:07 AM

calipers like starrett, mitutoyo, brown and sharp etc. are probably more than you will want to spend if all your doing is checking case length.but i like mitutoyo i have two sets in my tool box not sure on price 8 inch runs about 100 bucks.

Axxe55 02-01-2012 07:22 AM

check out Midway. they have great deals on lots of reloading equipment. also check out MidSouth Shooters Supply, they have great deals on their stuff also. i bought my tumbler from them. it's a Smart Reloader brand, works great. both places have excellent service and fast shipping. i use both of them with great results.

Txhillbilly 02-03-2012 04:59 AM

I've been using the Frankford Arsenal tumbler for several years,it's a good unit for a good price.
I have both dial/digital calipers.You can spend a lot of money for the best ones,as Adkins stated,but the $30-40 ones will serve you well.

Durangokid 02-03-2012 05:02 AM

I use the Big Dillon. If you do small amounts Habor Freight has some worth the money.:)

jpattersonnh 02-03-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txhillbilly (Post 697914)
I've been using the Frankford Arsenal tumbler for several years,it's a good unit for a good price.
I have both dial/digital calipers.You can spend a lot of money for the best ones,as Adkins stated,but the $30-40 ones will serve you well.

+1. I have a digital caliper, but bought a dial afterwards. Tired of dead batteries!!