Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Trip to the range - lots of brass for the taking.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 02:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default Trip to the range - lots of brass for the taking.

Today, I was able to spend about 4 hours at the range. Weather was perfect, just wish my aim was too.

As I was picking up my brass, I would pick up the brass that was left behind. I have done this before, but it just looked to be more than I have seen before. I have seen many people crying about how they can NOT find any range brass now. At the end of the day, a group came in just before closing, fired off a bunch of 223 and left. I got 79 pieces from them alone.

I walked away with a few that I didn't know what it is at first, but was able to find in books or web. I have two that I am not 100% on. They look like 30 Luger, but they are a bit long, @ .978 and .965. Anybody got any idea what I am looking at?

I also had a thought as I was looking at a 223 with a split neck. This brass would be perfect for someone that was trying to make 300 blackout. I have been thinking that I would practice annealing with my junk brass first, but trading for other brass may be even better.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-01-2013, 04:06 AM   #2
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16909 Times on 9802 Posts
Likes Given: 44098

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebsca View Post
Today, I was able to spend about 4 hours at the range. Weather was perfect, just wish my aim was too.

As I was picking up my brass, I would pick up the brass that was left behind. I have done this before, but it just looked to be more than I have seen before. I have seen many people crying about how they can NOT find any range brass now. At the end of the day, a group came in just before closing, fired off a bunch of 223 and left. I got 79 pieces from them alone.

I walked away with a few that I didn't know what it is at first, but was able to find in books or web. I have two that I am not 100% on. They look like 30 Luger, but they are a bit long, @ .978 and .965. Anybody got any idea what I am looking at?

I also had a thought as I was looking at a 223 with a split neck. This brass would be perfect for someone that was trying to make 300 blackout. I have been thinking that I would practice annealing with my junk brass first, but trading for other brass may be even better.
good idea! dump it in a tumbler and clean it, then sort it by type. could end up with some good trading material.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:24 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I usually spend about an hour or so walking around the range looking for brass after shooting (range is usually empty when I shoot). I don't find near as much as I used to, but I get lucky every now and then.

Congrats on your score.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3650 Times on 2268 Posts
Likes Given: 1222

At my local range we're only allowed to take the brass we shoot. They recycle the rest. I think that actually means they sell them to be reloaded. So I take what's sitting around in my immediate area unless scene is shooting there. I usually make a decent haul. I don't even own a .45 (yet) but have a hundred or so pieces of that. Maybe more.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #5

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I have been picking up FN 5.7 by the hundreds. I do not own one but having all this brass will justify buying one.