Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Trip to the range - lots of brass for the taking. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/trip-range-lots-brass-taking-93173/)

jebsca 07-01-2013 03:14 AM

Trip to the range - lots of brass for the taking.

Today, I was able to spend about 4 hours at the range. Weather was perfect, just wish my aim was too.

As I was picking up my brass, I would pick up the brass that was left behind. I have done this before, but it just looked to be more than I have seen before. I have seen many people crying about how they can NOT find any range brass now. At the end of the day, a group came in just before closing, fired off a bunch of 223 and left. I got 79 pieces from them alone.

I walked away with a few that I didn't know what it is at first, but was able to find in books or web. I have two that I am not 100% on. They look like 30 Luger, but they are a bit long, @ .978 and .965. Anybody got any idea what I am looking at?

I also had a thought as I was looking at a 223 with a split neck. This brass would be perfect for someone that was trying to make 300 blackout. I have been thinking that I would practice annealing with my junk brass first, but trading for other brass may be even better.

Axxe55 07-01-2013 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebsca (Post 1291709)
Today, I was able to spend about 4 hours at the range. Weather was perfect, just wish my aim was too.

As I was picking up my brass, I would pick up the brass that was left behind. I have done this before, but it just looked to be more than I have seen before. I have seen many people crying about how they can NOT find any range brass now. At the end of the day, a group came in just before closing, fired off a bunch of 223 and left. I got 79 pieces from them alone.

I walked away with a few that I didn't know what it is at first, but was able to find in books or web. I have two that I am not 100% on. They look like 30 Luger, but they are a bit long, @ .978 and .965. Anybody got any idea what I am looking at?

I also had a thought as I was looking at a 223 with a split neck. This brass would be perfect for someone that was trying to make 300 blackout. I have been thinking that I would practice annealing with my junk brass first, but trading for other brass may be even better.

good idea! dump it in a tumbler and clean it, then sort it by type. could end up with some good trading material.

texaswoodworker 07-01-2013 05:24 AM

I usually spend about an hour or so walking around the range looking for brass after shooting (range is usually empty when I shoot). I don't find near as much as I used to, but I get lucky every now and then.

Congrats on your score.

JW357 07-01-2013 06:19 AM

At my local range we're only allowed to take the brass we shoot. They recycle the rest. I think that actually means they sell them to be reloaded. So I take what's sitting around in my immediate area unless scene is shooting there. I usually make a decent haul. I don't even own a .45 (yet) but have a hundred or so pieces of that. Maybe more.

nitestalker 07-01-2013 06:27 AM

I have been picking up FN 5.7 by the hundreds. I do not own one but having all this brass will justify buying one. :D