Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Traveling I75 FL to TN; where to stop for ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 10

Default Traveling I75 FL to TN; where to stop for ammo?

Im seeing more and more often that some areas are overstocked when most areas are on a major shortage. Seeing how I will be covering many many miles, I figured I would ask and see if I might pass by any of these places. That said, does anyone know where I can stop and check for the sought after calibers?

I imagine that there aren't many places known to have ammo in quantity, so maybe just big chain stores that MIGHT have them would also suffice. Ex, Gander Mt. which I believe is outside of Knoxville; not known to have massive stock, but the store is big enough to have some possibility.

Hopefully I can go shooting on my vacation! TIA

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2132 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

South Sea!
Ammo is about the same in TN as all the other areas depending on what caliber you are looking for. What Calibers did you have in mind. There is a Bass Pro 18 miles West of Knoxville on I-40. Kodak TN near Sevierville, TN. But ammunition in Tennessee has been extremely tight also depending on the caliber. Most all the Walmarts are also out of 223/5.56-22LR-and 308s. You may find some but do not get your hopes up! One little hint you might want to check out is the Hardware Stores like True Value and those types of smaller and mom and pop hardware stores. A lot of ammo hoarders have not thought about them. You can still find several of the normal hunting calibers like Rem 7MM Mag, 30-06, 243, 270, 30-30 and others.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

SouthSeaPirate Likes This 
Old 04-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
South Sea!
Ammo is about the same in TN as all the other areas depending on what caliber you are looking for. What Calibers did you have in mind. There is a Bass Pro 18 miles West of Knoxville on I-40. Kodak TN near Sevierville, TN. But ammunition in Tennessee has been extremely tight also depending on the caliber. Most all the Walmarts are also out of 223/5.56-22LR-and 308s. You may find some but do not get your hopes up! One little hint you might want to check out is the Hardware Stores like True Value and those types of smaller and mom and pop hardware stores. A lot of ammo hoarders have not thought about them. You can still find several of the normal hunting calibers like Rem 7MM Mag, 30-06, 243, 270, 30-30 and others.

Thanks for the info and the tip! I have this posted on other forums as well and the stops on the books are Gander Mt in Farragut and BPS in Kodak. I have a list of Walmarts to stop at; those located just off of I75. Ill actually be going to Gatlinburg; so the stops on I40 are on the way. I dont know of any local stores to look for. Do you know of any in Sevier county I could check out? Greatly appreciated!

Im looking for the common, just like everyone else;
223, 556, 9mm, 22.

Maybe Ill convert to AK74 considering this ammo can be bought in bulk for cheap. Assuming I can find a cheap one out there. Have one for sale

Last edited by SouthSeaPirate; 04-02-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

If your just looking to kill some time and some money, check out Coal Creek Armory in K town.
Exit 374, I think, just off the exit.
They use to rent full autos and had dozens of rentals and calibers , as for ammo Bass pro was scarce last week , be sure to check out smoky mountain knife works while in sevierville.

Safe travels !!

Old 04-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #5

Ah, another place in Sevierville I did not know about! I will be stopping there and in Coal Creek.

I now have 200 rounds of 223 and 50 of 9mm. Heavent even left on my trip yet. 223 was 13.99 a box and the 9mm was 19.99.

Not rubbing it in; just pointing out there is still hope of finding some. Even only 30 min away