Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Tracers (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/tracers-1199/)

Lassie 07-11-2007 06:40 PM

Tracers

How do you get tracers to work? Do they work in normal guns? What is it that makes the tracer light up?

bkt 07-11-2007 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lassie (Post 4321)
How do you get tracers to work? Do they work in normal guns? What is it that makes the tracer light up?

Tracers have a small amount of phosphorous or magnesium (or similar) at the base of the bullet which is ignited when the round is fired.

They will work in "normal" guns; no special hardware is required.

robocop10mm 07-11-2007 09:49 PM

Tracers

There are some caveats to this. Some newer powders burn too cool to reliably ignite the tracers. They generally require a hotter powder. Most of the commercially available canister powders will get the job done.

bkt 07-12-2007 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 4337)
There are some caveats to this. Some newer powders burn too cool to reliably ignite the tracers. They generally require a hotter powder. Most of the commercially available canister powders will get the job done.

Can't you reasonably assume commercial/military tracer rounds have the appropriate powder to set the puppy ablaze?

I can see how this might be an issue if you're reloading with tracer bullets and you're using a cooler-burning powder.

robocop10mm 07-16-2007 02:10 PM

Tracers

I have loaded 5.56 mm and 7.62 X 51 tracers with BLC-2 and Win 748 with good results. If you choose the pull down powders available make sure you choose the correct one.

WILDCATT 08-15-2007 09:12 PM

I dont know about powders but the 1000 rds of 223 that I bought have mixed in tracer and I have been pulling the bullets.[these are range pickups]all tracers have stick powder all ball have ball powder.does the stick have hotter burn??

Doublehammerz 02-23-2008 06:01 PM

tracer damage

Do tracers ever damage the barrels in anyway? My neighbor has a large supply of .556 tracers that he wanted to give me. I've never used tracers and didn't know if they'll damage my rifle. I use a Bushmaster Competition model with pre-ban break and 20" Stainless barrel. (iron sights only)

-"Fear in and of it's self is what makes a soldier's reaction flawless on the battlefield."- Kelly
-"Oh praise their sacrificed sons, Oh praise their sacrificed sons."-Dream Theater

Righteous 02-24-2008 01:59 AM

just dont shoot alot at one time, 1 maybe every 4 or 5 rounds, get them anyways and if ya dont want them send them to me, I'll pay shipping to Alabama lol

Zappa 02-24-2008 06:40 AM

I haven't seen tracers in nearly 20 years, I used to get the bullets in 9mm, .38 and .45, but I don't know where to get them anymore. I especially liked the .45's, I'd load them very light (about 700 fps) and watch them streak to the target. Great around twilight, you can really see the arc of the bullets path. I recovered a few from the sand hill and there was nothing left but the hollow copper jacket. I gave a few handloaded .38's to a PO friend who went night shooting at the police range, he said it was a real hoot. The range officer asked what he was shooting for loads but he just acted dumb and said "some reloads I got at the police supply store". The range officer then told him not to bring that stuff anymore. :D