Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Tools 4 reloading???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default Tools 4 reloading???

Hey guys, thinkin about reloading for my .45, .40, sks and m44 what equipment and tools do i need to start and is it cheaper than buying preloaded ammo.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-06-2008, 11:05 PM   #2

dragunovsks I suggest you start out by buying a copy of "The ABC's of Reloading" you can get it off of Barnes and Noble for $19.99

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&ISBN=9780896896093&ourl=ABCs%2 Dof%2DReloading%2FBill%2DChevalier

I suggest you get it fast because when I bought mine I picked it up for $15 off of Amazon , it seems reloading books are getting scarce and expensive .

Lee's "Modern Reloading Second Addition" is also good as well as Speer and most other makers manuals .

You will save money in a manner it all depends on how expensive/fancy you get with your reloading setup and how often you shoot .

For straightwalled case's such as 38/357 , 40 , 45 is pretty simple and you can use what are called Carbide Dies and no lube with the bottle neck cases for rifles you MUST lubricate the cases to run them through a resizing die .

You can get started reloading with the least amount of cash layout with Lee equipment I have used it for 20+ years and it gets the job done just fine , it might not get it done as fast as a Dillion but it costs hundreds less .

Describing everything you need to do and what you need would make for a hugely long post , you can search the web and find almost anything you need and perhaps print it out and create a book rather than buying one .

If you have yahoo messenger with speakers and a microphone I would be willing to voice chat with you and explain most of your questions .

PM me if this interests you

Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8375 Times on 3624 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Good advice from Big 1. Spend some time reading. Then spend some time shopping. You can pick up a used press, used dies, scales, etc etc. While the equipment can be abused or neglected, it RARELY wears out. Powder and primers carry a HAZMAT surcharge when shipping, so unless you are buying a LOT, buying in person locally will be cheaper. I reload for 6 calibers, and probably have $200 invested in equipment. Could just as easily be $2000. Would suggest you start with a single stage press, rather than a progressive or turret. Yes, is slower. Also less prone to errors. Rolling your own is satisfying- may not be cheaper than MILSURP, or bargain shopping for new ammo- but I like it. PS- Remember hottest load is rarely the best or most accurate, START at lowest load, work up. Change ANYTHING- powder, primer, brass or bullet, go BACK to starting load, work up.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #4

Big 1 suggested correctly - start with the ABCs of Reloading and go from there. Once you get started, prepare to be obsessed with it - it only starts with the purchase of that book. Where it ends will be up to you but chances are, you'll never stop once started. And, it can get expensive in a relative sort of way - you'll save a little bit in the overall scheme of things - but the real reward will be in manufacturing your own ammo according to your preferences.

I reload for ten calibers. It started with a $159.00 investment and I have spent literally thousands over the years. Once you compile the necessary equipment - then it is all about stockpiling the necessities ... bullets, brass and powder.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:19 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What you need to reload on depends on how much you are going to load. I load on a 550 Dillon, but I have loaded over 4,000 rounds of .223 ammo, alone, in the last year. They are $ 395.95 now for starters. I just got an order for some things I needed to load a couple more round, another $ 275. I probly have over $ 2000 in mine now, but I load for far more different rounds than most people. For a coulpe 1000 rounds a year you can get buy with a single stage press.

Catfish
Ohio