Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Tools 4 reloading??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/tools-4-reloading-4359/)

dragunovsks 05-06-2008 09:12 PM

Tools 4 reloading???

Hey guys, thinkin about reloading for my .45, .40, sks and m44 what equipment and tools do i need to start and is it cheaper than buying preloaded ammo.

BigO01 05-06-2008 11:05 PM

dragunovsks I suggest you start out by buying a copy of "The ABC's of Reloading" you can get it off of Barnes and Noble for $19.99

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&ISBN=9780896896093&ourl=ABCs%2 Dof%2DReloading%2FBill%2DChevalier

I suggest you get it fast because when I bought mine I picked it up for $15 off of Amazon , it seems reloading books are getting scarce and expensive .

Lee's "Modern Reloading Second Addition" is also good as well as Speer and most other makers manuals .

You will save money in a manner it all depends on how expensive/fancy you get with your reloading setup and how often you shoot .

For straightwalled case's such as 38/357 , 40 , 45 is pretty simple and you can use what are called Carbide Dies and no lube with the bottle neck cases for rifles you MUST lubricate the cases to run them through a resizing die .

You can get started reloading with the least amount of cash layout with Lee equipment I have used it for 20+ years and it gets the job done just fine , it might not get it done as fast as a Dillion but it costs hundreds less .

Describing everything you need to do and what you need would make for a hugely long post , you can search the web and find almost anything you need and perhaps print it out and create a book rather than buying one .

If you have yahoo messenger with speakers and a microphone I would be willing to voice chat with you and explain most of your questions .

PM me if this interests you

c3shooter 05-15-2008 11:44 PM

Good advice from Big 1. Spend some time reading. Then spend some time shopping. You can pick up a used press, used dies, scales, etc etc. While the equipment can be abused or neglected, it RARELY wears out. Powder and primers carry a HAZMAT surcharge when shipping, so unless you are buying a LOT, buying in person locally will be cheaper. I reload for 6 calibers, and probably have $200 invested in equipment. Could just as easily be $2000. Would suggest you start with a single stage press, rather than a progressive or turret. Yes, is slower. Also less prone to errors. Rolling your own is satisfying- may not be cheaper than MILSURP, or bargain shopping for new ammo- but I like it. PS- Remember hottest load is rarely the best or most accurate, START at lowest load, work up. Change ANYTHING- powder, primer, brass or bullet, go BACK to starting load, work up.

Gallo Pazzesco 05-16-2008 12:51 PM

Big 1 suggested correctly - start with the ABCs of Reloading and go from there. Once you get started, prepare to be obsessed with it - it only starts with the purchase of that book. Where it ends will be up to you but chances are, you'll never stop once started. And, it can get expensive in a relative sort of way - you'll save a little bit in the overall scheme of things - but the real reward will be in manufacturing your own ammo according to your preferences.

I reload for ten calibers. It started with a $159.00 investment and I have spent literally thousands over the years. Once you compile the necessary equipment - then it is all about stockpiling the necessities ... bullets, brass and powder.

Catfish 05-17-2008 02:19 AM

What you need to reload on depends on how much you are going to load. I load on a 550 Dillon, but I have loaded over 4,000 rounds of .223 ammo, alone, in the last year. They are $ 395.95 now for starters. I just got an order for some things I needed to load a couple more round, another $ 275. I probly have over $ 2000 in mine now, but I load for far more different rounds than most people. For a coulpe 1000 rounds a year you can get buy with a single stage press.