Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > TMJ vs. FMJ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1607 Times on 838 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

Default TMJ vs. FMJ?

Is the difference worth the few cents per round? How much cleaner is TMJ than FMJ? Can I shoot a quarter of a million rounds of TMJ without cleaning my pistol without detrimental effect?

How about 23k?

1k?

How about 152?

How real is the difference?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-23-2012, 12:42 AM   #2

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

FMJ usually has exposed lead at the base. TMJs do not. Some indoor ranges do not allow lead bullets and jacketed bullet with an exposed lead base. That's about it. If you shoot indoors find out what your range rules are as far as lead is concerned, if not, pick one and load away.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
FMJ usually has exposed lead at the base. TMJs do not. Some indoor ranges do not allow lead bullets and jacketed bullet with an exposed lead base. That's about it. If you shoot indoors find out what your range rules are as far as lead is concerned, if not, pick one and load away.
So it's about lead exposure to the range, not to the pistol?

Old 05-23-2012, 01:32 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
So it's about lead exposure to the range, not to the pistol?
Correct. Whether or not the base of the bullet has exposed lead will matter not to your barrel. How often you need to clean your gun depends on the standard of accuracy/reliability you require. When shooting jacketed bullets, whether theyre fmj or tmj, your barrel will have copper and powder fouling inside it. No lead residue will be left behind from either one.

Copper fouling will kill your accuracy. So again, on this point, your cleaning schedule will depend on your accuracy requirements. I have run 500 plus rounds through my ar and my handguns at a time with no problems. I dont require exceptional accuracy from them. "Combat accuracy" is all i require from them. My bolt rifles will be cleaned every 20 rounds. If not, i will notice a huge decrease in accuracy. These rifles i hold to a much higher standard.

Powder fouling is corrosive and will cause rust if left uncleaned. Powder fouling is why we clean our guns after every range session.

Non corrosive ammo means that the primers are non corrosive. But burnt gun powder IS corrosive regardless of what type of primer ignites it.

Always clean your guns after every range session and then run an oil soaked patch through the clean barrel to protect it during storage.

Last edited by ryguy00; 05-23-2012 at 01:34 AM.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:33 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8374 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

It is not about pistol getting leaded up. It is about your kidneys, brain, gonads, etc etc getting leaded up. Environmental health, not firearm maintenance.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:40 AM   #6
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thank you gentlemen. As always, your enlightenment is most appreciated.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5244 Times on 2735 Posts
Likes Given: 330

there are issues with plated bullets but minor ones. you treat them as plain lead for reloading load data purposes. you cant push them too fast or they shed the plating and cause severe leading issues. generally only seen at 357mag velocities.

no load for 45acp comes close.

with bare lead bases you still get minor lead deposits but takes many thousands of rounds to foul a barrel. copper is generally a bigger nuisance at that point.

powder and primer residue is not corrosive and no harm will come to a firearm from storing dirty after using modern corrosive primers and smokeless powder.

blackpowder loads however are corrosive and commonly found in cowboy action shooting.

take with a grain of salt:
eag's filthy 14 saw minor accuracy degradation after 30,000 rounds. true or not who knows.

the following is purely my opinion based on absolutely no scientific data. i dont recomend anyone else follow my example:
personally i think you will shoot out most barrels before any copper plated or jacketed bullets will affect the perfomance. all i do for my barrels is swab out residue and oil em up now and then. i run a brush through 5 or 6 times to break the chunks loose but i dont get crazy benchrest loony with it

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-23-2012 at 02:03 AM.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #8

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I have never heard or read that about TMJ plated bullets being an answer for lead exposure. They were always just a cheaper alternative FMF .