Tips for new reloaders first batch

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Tips for new reloaders first batch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Tips for new reloaders first batch

Hello all, I've been shootings for many years and have just now been able to get into reloading due to space issues. Now I have a setup and have read a few books on reloading but unfortunately I do not have any friends that reload so I have no where to get first hand experience with the actual loading process. I know what the steps are and how to do them I'm just looking for a little advice that some of you pros might have, especially with the first batch of loaded bullets. I'm going to be starting with 30-06 and 30-30 then .40 and 9mm will be added in later. Any tips or advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #2

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Make sure your dies are setup properly, as to not overwork your cases.

Don't get distracted.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #3

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Rifle cases must be lubed.

I'd start with straight walled pistol calibers. Get comfortable, then move on to bottleneck cases.

No distractions. No drinking. Follow loading data precisely. No guessing or substitution until you're proficient.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1136 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 658

if reading the steps is not quite enough. check out these videos. they are posted in a sticky at the top of this section.. but heres a link

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/reloading-101-great-starting-point-27166/

i found them to be good as i like seeing things in action.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:49 PM   #5

Thank you for all the advice. I will keep checking back to see if anyone else has any tips. Thank you again.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:38 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Were to start? I'm just going to go a head and invite you over to my house. But as I'm in northern Utah, I'll forgive you if you can't make it.
I think the 30-06 will be the easiest for you, so I'll start there. I use a RCBS press with RCBS dies. I set them to full length resize. Turn the die into the press till it contacts your case seat, then turn it down a quarter turn further. I set the decapping pin so it just barely kicks the primers out.
Lube your cases (again I use RCBS lube and lube pad.) Too much lube will dent the shoulders of your cases. Lube the pad up good then roll your case across it once. Your going for a light film on it. Not dripping.
Run your cases through your die. Once I've run them all through I'll take a rag and rubbing alcohol and wipe the cases off.
Prime your cases, I like the RCBS hand primer. Fill with powder, I like the RCBS rangemaster digital scale and hornady handbook and bullets, and get ready to stick a bullet in.
I set my seater die in all the way till it contacts the case seat (RCBS #3 for an -06 by the way) then back it off a quarter turn. I back the seater adjustment screw off till it just starts the bullet in the case mouth, then adjust it down until I'm at the length I want.
Make sure you have a good set of calipers. Hope this helps. Most presses aren't too different from one another.

Wait, was this thing on?

Old 01-25-2012, 01:03 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you plan to crimp (I don't for .30-06 but would .30-30) make sure all your brass is trimmed to the same length. I don't trim or even measure 9mm or other autopistol brass.

An easy way to set up your seating die is to put a factory round on the ram and run it all the way up into an empty toolhead or press. Back the seating plug way, way, out and thread the die body into the press until you feel resistance. This will indicate the crimp ring has contacted the top of the case. Back the die body out 1/2 turn for no crimp or leave it where it is for your initial crimp setting. Run the die lock ring down and snug it finger tight. Now run the seating plug in until it firmly contacts the nose of the bullet on the ram. Your die will now seat and crimp (if you wish) to pretty close to the settings of the round you used. Adjust as necessary when you start.

I keep dummy rounds in the configurations I like with different bullets and use them in this way to set up my seating/crimping die.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:12 AM   #8

Thanks for the offer Theropinfool but I'm in Cali, I do appreciate your and sport's advice the die adjustment was still a little unclear to me so that helped, thank you guys. I bought a Lyman T-mag II deluxe kit, now in that kit it comes with a power measure, would you suggest not using it till I get more experience or just be careful and make sure its calibrated like every 10-20 loads? I have one more question about the crimping. The 30-30 I have to crimp due to the fact they will be used in a tubular feed Marlin level action. First, is that statement correct and second is the crimping process just and adjustment to the seating die or an additional part? Thanks

Old 01-25-2012, 02:13 AM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Also remember that your first reload ever will generally be a miss because you waiting for the gun to blow-up in your hands, (at least that was the case for me, and I have heard of it being true for others.) Other than that take your time and follow the book to the letter. If you aren't SURE of what you are doing then look it up, don't guess and don't just wing-it.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:42 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've never used a powder measure, my dad hated them, so I never use them. But ya, if it works, use it. A lot of guys do, just make sure it's calibrated, like you said.

As for the 30-30, my RCBS seater die will crimp the case, but getting it to do it in one step can be tricky. I started out just backing the adjustment screw all the way off, turning the die into the press further and crimping that way. After I'd already seated all the bullets.

Wait, was this thing on?