Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > tips for finding powder less round

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1077 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 609

Default tips for finding powder less round

okay, at least im ahead of the game here. i have 40 .40 s&W rounds loaded. one of which lacks almost all the powder. i had my son helping me and he spilled one of the casings, didnt inform me, and loaded the bullet. i saw the pile of powder near the end of the 50 rounds. so the last 10 i did and set aside. so that leaves me with 40 rounds. i measured the powder and it was almost exactly my charge weight. so like i said at least i know i have a dud. but now how to find it. i really dont want to lose all 40 bullets. the casings powder an primers are cheap enough but my hornady bullets are not. lol

i dont have a bullet puller, as of yet

i tried to weigh a couple other rounds i knew were loaded correctly. i assume due to brass sizing, the difference in weight between 2 100 percent good rounds was well over my charge weight. leaving me to think weighing them all still might not be correct.

thought about shooting 1 at a time and if the bullet got stuck in the barrel get it out that way. but im not fond of that idea.

any thoughts? do i need to suck it up and buy a bullet puller? if so, which one?

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19574 Times on 11109 Posts
Likes Given: 49278

JJ, you might want to go ahead and pull the bullets and visually check to find the one missing it's powder charge. that way you would know for sure. i thought about weghing the loaded ammo, but if there is a difference in case weight, it could give a false reading. you might try one of the inertia bullet pullers. i just got one the other day because in a moment of haste, i charged and seated bullets in some rifle cases, but somehow forgot to seat primers in them!

Old 05-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8315 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Sorry, bro- you need a bullet puller. You were going to get one anyway, right? You will save all components, including the bullets.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=34107/Product/Quinetics-Bullet-Puller

Powder weight is SO small, it will be hidden by variations in the brass. And you look like a goof with the cartridge in your ear, shaking your head to see if you can hear the powder in the case.

Just do not ask how I know that, OK?

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Dumb question from non-reloader, but can't you just shake them and listen for powder shaking around in there like a mini-moroco (or whatever they call those things).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Sorry, bro- you need a bullet puller. You were going to get one anyway, right? You will save all components, including the bullets.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=34107/Product/Quinetics-Bullet-Puller

Powder weight is SO small, it will be hidden by variations in the brass. And you look like a goof with the cartridge in your ear, shaking your head to see if you can hear the powder in the case.

Just do not ask how I know that, OK?
+1
Pullers are much cheaper than a damaged pistol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Dumb question from non-reloader, but can't you just shake them and listen for powder shaking around in there like a mini-moroco (or whatever they call those things).
In some cases yes, if you're really lucky. Others, not so much. There just isn't much room in there for powder to move around. Even if it does, light flakey powders (Unique, HS-6) won't make much noise. Heck, dense powders aren't much better, I can't hear Accurate #5 in my .40 loads, and it's like dense sand.. I suppose if you have spectacular bat-like hearing give it a try. I know I couldn't hear squat when I've tried it. 21 years around jet noise pretty much ensured that.
Always err on the side of safety with stuff like this.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 05-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #6

Liked 2141 Times on 969 Posts
Likes Given: 2083

Everybody who has been reloading for awhile has a bullet puller. There's no shame.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Maybe those new "backscatter" scanners at the airport could detect the difference?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Maybe those new "backscatter" scanners at the airport could detect the difference?
That would be fun to watch.
"Excuse me Mr. TSA guy, can you please scan this box of ammo for me?"
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 05-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #9

Liked 672 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Get one of the press mounted collet pullers.. you should be able to pull the bullet without dumping out the rounds that are full of powder... They cost twice as much, but I like them better.... (about $20 for a RCBS one + you have to buy the collet for what ever caliber bullet your pulling)
I just have the "hammer" type puller, but like my friends press one better, for the reason I said above..

You should be able to see what round is low on powder, and just reseat the rest.. But then it might be a good idea to reweigh all the rounds... Better safe than sorry!!!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19574 Times on 11109 Posts
Likes Given: 49278

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
That would be fun to watch.
"Excuse me Mr. TSA guy, can you please scan this box of ammo for me?"
no sir Mr TSA agent, i'm not boarding a plane today, i just need this ammo scanned to make sure that i put powder in them!

but only after a full body cavity search, sir, please bend over, while i put this glove on!