Tip for Sticky Gasket to Wet Tumbler Lid
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Tip for Sticky Gasket to Wet Tumbler Lid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default Tip for Sticky Gasket to Wet Tumbler Lid

Hi, All -

I've read several posts of people noticing/complaining that the gasket on their wet tumbler drum sticks hard when trying to remove the lid after a tumble. I've had this happen as well.

A fix for the sticky gasket issue is to apply a thin coat of of Armor-All, or any other brand, of plastic/rubber protectorant to the gasket before cinching down the lid.

The lid should come off pretty easily afterward. Seems to work for me, at least.

bradam Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #2

FYI -

Another poster says silicone spray works great for this issue, too.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6546 Times on 3650 Posts
Likes Given: 6190

Strange problem.

I've been "washing" brass in a Thumler's Model B tumbler for 40 years and never had a problem with the rubber gasket sticking. Using warm water and liquid Tide.

For those who do, are you using new tumblers?? Maybe they've changed the type of rubber in the seal??????????

Old 03-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Strange problem.

I've been "washing" brass in a Thumler's Model B tumbler for 40 years and never had a problem with the rubber gasket sticking. Using warm water and liquid Tide.

For those who do, are you using new tumblers?? Maybe they've changed the type of rubber in the seal??????????
Yep -

My Model B is only 1 1/2 years old. Prior to using a coat of protectorant on the rubber before cinching it down to wet tumble, the gasket would stick pretty hard and the lid had to be pryed off just about.

Have you had the same tumbler for 40 years? How often do you apply oil to each end of the motor shaft, if you don't mind my asking?

Old 03-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou View Post
Yep -

My Model B is only 1 1/2 years old. Prior to using a coat of protectorant on the rubber before cinching it down to wet tumble, the gasket would stick pretty hard and the lid had to be pryed off just about.

Have you had the same tumbler for 40 years? How often do you apply oil to each end of the motor shaft, if you don't mind my asking?

Yep. Same one. A drop of machine oil about once per year.

On about my 10th belt though. The silicone "O" rings they use for belts now will outlast the old rubber belts 5-1.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Bayou Likes This 
Old 03-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #6

Quote:
[/B]

Yep. Same one. A drop of machine oil about once per year.

On about my 10th belt though. The silicone "O" rings they use for belts now will outlast the old rubber belts 5-1.
Sounds good. I was putting a drop of oil a month or so, but looks like even that much would not be needed.

As far as the drive belts, I've given up on the replacement belts for the Thumler's model B. The darn things were breaking every 4th or 5th tumble for no apparent reason whatsoever. Very frustrating and expensive.

I switched to o-rings as well. I ordered several ethylene-propylene o-rings of the same size as the Thumbler's belt. The o-rings cost 80 cents apiece as opposed to $5-$6 a pop for a replacement belt.

I'm still using the first o-ring after months of tumbling, and it shows no signs of giving it up.

Here's the link to the exact ethylene propylene o-ring I am using on the Thumlers:

http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=367_150_152 &products_id=6511
locutus Likes This 
Old 03-19-2014, 11:33 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou View Post

Here's the link to the exact ethylene propylene o-ring I am using on the Thumlers:

http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=367_150_152 &products_id=6511

Thank you!

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Bayou Likes This 
Old 03-20-2014, 01:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Thank you!
You're welcome, locutus!

Happy tumbling!