Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Time to Upgrade - And I need Help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/time-upgrade-i-need-help-10066/)

Dillinger 01-17-2009 11:12 PM

Time to Upgrade - And I need Help

Okay guys, it's time for me to officially upgrade my home reloading bench, and with income tax coming around the corner, I have been researching some options, but frankly this isn't my area of expertise and I want some input.

I have settled on the Dillon XL 650. If there is a better unit for the money, please feel free to let me know, but after reading about a dozen pages of reviews, I can't find one.

I will be reloading MASS QUANTITIES of .45 ACP, 9mm, & 5.56(.223) along with, what I have been goaded into, my .460 Rowland, which will use the .45ACP Dies.

I have a custom single station reloading platform for both my .308 and my future 7mm. In the interest of loading for utmost accuracy, this is my preferred station - but if I have to load for a SHTF scenario, I need to consider mass production over .02 MOA accuracy.

So, my challenge to you, my fine fellow forum members, is to help me dress out the best BANG FOR MY BUCK DILLON 650 XL package.

Who's got a suggestion/action plan for me and who has a source that will get me the most unit for the least amount of my hard earned cash.

Thank you guys - I appreciate you taking the time to help dress out the rest of my own personal fortress. :D

JD

anm2_man 01-18-2009 08:26 PM

At least you made the Blue Kool Aid choice. The only real downside of the XL650 is the cost of caliber conversions. They are like over $70 for each one, plus tool head's + powder measures + dies + gages. You'll see where I'm coming from when you start pricing them. When I switched from my 550 to the 650 and bought my first 2 caliber conversion, it was like $230 (and I had all of the dies and powder measures) from before.

Cost aside, quality reloads are just as easy on a Dillon press as on a single stage press. With the exception of stick powders, one can easily hold +/-.1gr. OAL can be held in production to the same tolerances that one gets with a single state press.

To hold close tolerances, you need to have a rigid bench. Most people don't think its important, but there are alot of things moving on a 650, and to maintain close tolerances, a sturdy platform is required.

To save a couple of bucks, I would watch EBAY, there are aways parts and conversions for sale. Know the costs before bidding.

I think as long as you have some reloading experience, the 650 with be your machine of choice.

If you have any detail questions, post here and I will try to answer them or take a look at this forum >Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo! (Powered by Invision Power Board)

Lots of good reloading info both for dillon and others.

Dillinger 01-18-2009 09:25 PM

Thanks ANM2_Man: You were actually one of several forum members I was hoping would stop by and offer some insight.

I know the caliber conversions are going to cost more, and I am prepared to accept that. I want the best possible machine for ALL my future needs, and after reading, probably WAY TOO MUCH information, I have determined that at this time, for the type of reloading that I am doing, the Dillon is The Unit....

I will hit up that link of yours and see what I can mine out of the archives.

Many Thanks -

JD

cpttango30 01-19-2009 12:24 AM

Your going to need 2 presses one for small primers and one for large. Changing the priming system is a PITFA.

Make sure you get the Dillon Strong mount and bins plenty of bins. Get the extra parts kit. Yes your press comes with a lifetime no BS warranty. When Dillon says no BS they mean it They replaced a guys 550 that fell out of a chopper in alaska. I would invest in Dillon dies because they are made to work with the machine. But then again I use my RCBS dies in it. Just change out the lock nuts with the dillon lock nuts. They are 1" vs RCBS 1 1/4" lock nuts.

To save some cash if you are going to use 45 acp and 308 just get one caliber conversion and then get the 308 powder funnel. I would get the canvas machine cover as well. I would only get 2 powder measures as they can be switched although adjusting them is a pain until you get the hang of it. Also get on ebay and look for the dillon powder measure adjustment nut.

I would also invest in a stand for each tool head you want set up. that way you can keep them neat and orderly and line them up dress right dress like a good OCD reloader.

Dillinger 01-19-2009 12:33 AM

Thanks Tango - That's two on my wish list of people to input on this important "to me" thread.

I am definitely looking at a hardcore pistol caliber reloading platform with a secondary on long gun / bolt gun platforms as I have a great system in place already for my long guns ( though it is a single stage unit ).

Many Thanks my friend!

JD

cpttango30 01-19-2009 03:54 AM

I don't like the dillon for bottle neck reloading for one reason. I have to lube size then stop and clean the cases of lube then go back to loading again. I prefer my single stage for my rifle stuff I never load so many at once to worry about it. Are you going for the case feeder? I forgot to add that the bullet tray is a must have it provides less movement and a ice place to rest your arm while reloading.

anm2_man 01-19-2009 03:35 PM

Dillinger

Tango is right about the primer system it is a PTIA to change. What I did a spent the extra $80 for a complete extra system in the oposite size. All I do now is unscrew 2 bolts, R&R the primer system, replace and tighten the bolts.