Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > thoughts on PPU

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 02:30 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 513 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Lets be honest, in a real SD situation, I would take the crappiest ammo over nothing at all. But that is no excuse for not trying out the best ammo. With SD ammo, it is all about expansion. Good ammo like Gold Dots and Winchester Ranger T's and many more will expand to be 150% more than their caliber they were fired from. Some of the basic hollow points will not do the same.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 05-14-2013, 02:43 AM   #12

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Good stuff! And this is what I am interested in knowing...I do not know a lot about balistics/expansion/etc. This was the reason I posted this thread. So what brands of JHP spread to 150% and how much does PPU expand?

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 05-14-2013, 02:55 AM   #13

I did just find a video on this ammo on you tube...it did not fair well in balistic gel test....I would post the link but I amon a mobile and am not sure how to make that happen...lol

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 05-14-2013, 02:55 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 513 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Start searching YouTube. Lots of great stuff on there. Here is the premium ammo that I know of, Hornady Critical Defense, Winchester Ranger-T (I use these exclusively), Gold Dot by ?????. There is also many threads on this same subject that I encourage you to look into.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 05-14-2013, 03:14 AM   #15

Thanks!!!!!

-AP

― Thomas Jefferson

― Alexander Hamilton

Old 05-14-2013, 03:44 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf
Start searching YouTube. Lots of great stuff on there. Here is the premium ammo that I know of, Hornady Critical Defense, Winchester Ranger-T (I use these exclusively), Gold Dot by ?????. There is also many threads on this same subject that I encourage you to look into.
Federal Hydra Shok

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post

Federal Hydra Shok
Squawk .....I have heard a lot about Hydrashock and have checked into it. It had been difficult for me to spend the money necessary to try JHP. I am still trying to build up my FMJ stores...and the prices of these have spoiled me....I need to get over that..lol. I think I am going to have to take a few week break from the range so I cam afford 3-5 diff. Types of HP and see what patterns best. Based on this thread and other s.....think I will try Hydrashock, PDX1, critical defense/zombie, and either corbon or Glaser and see what works best out of my gun....a $125 test but worth the money and my life.....it will be a couple weeks..but I will post a report.

-AP

― Thomas Jefferson

― Alexander Hamilton