Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > thoughts on PPU

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 135 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default thoughts on PPU

Ok so I have proclaimed myself as a buy American guy and I am...however when supplies were tough...I ended up buying some PPU JHP for my .40. It cycles nicely and is cheap as heck. My question is...what are your thoughts on this ammo. I don't have the ability to test ballistics and have not googled..but curious of others thoughts with more experience than my self. Would you use this as self defense ammo?

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #2

Wow! Beem a,while since I posted opinion and did not get a response....is PPU JHP just a WV thing..lol

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 05-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5309 Times on 2915 Posts
Likes Given: 10142

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve
It cycles nicely and is cheap as heck.
There ya go.
http://www.prvipartizan.com/

No offense and none taken

Old 05-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #4

Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I use PPU in my rifles, shoots great in 270 and 6.5x55, never tried them in a pistol though. Probably the best value ammo on the market today, terminal performance is good too, I normally hunt with handloads but tried the 139gr SP on deer and was very pleased with the results.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #5

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

I shoot PPU ammo in a lot of my "odd" caliber firearms 38S&W, 7.62x25, 7.62x38, q8x56r, 303 British etc. Works great, glad they still make ammo in these calibers and I'd recommend it.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #6

Thanks for the thoughts. I am extremely impressed with it through my SD40VE. I know that personal preference plays a big role with anything involving a firearm. I guess My hesitation is due to the fact that 50 rds. Of PPU JHP costs 22 .....the average American made hollow point for my gun costs around $30 for 20 rounds... The whole you get what you pay for thing motto is what worries me. However, I think that I am going to stick with it for SD/HD for now....unbelievably accurate through this gun....I supppose that is all you can ask for, right?

-AP

― Thomas Jefferson

― Alexander Hamilton

Old 05-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #7

Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Yeah don't let the price fool you that is some respectable stuff, often outperforming Power Point and Core-Lokt ammo in rifles. It is in my mind the best value on the market today, $13 a box for ammo that shoots 3/4" at 100yd and drops deer within 10 feet even with less then ideal shot placement........them some strong credentials, especaly when you consider that green box ammo run about $32 a box for oddball calibers such as the 6.5x55, 7x57, 303 ....etc.
Oh and to top it all off Prvi makes the best darn brass anywhere, I got 100 of them when I got my Swede some years ago I am STILL using those same brass just about every trip to the range, not a single cracked neck or loose primer pocket despite my max (and even a few hot) loads in both 120 and 140gr. Probably been fired at leased a dozen times each, and still outshoots the Norma brass I just got.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #8

Good to know......the only other hangup I have is that out is not American made...until the prices come down...it is definitely going to be my jhp of choice...if the prices come down lol.

-AP

― Thomas Jefferson

― Alexander Hamilton

Old 05-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #9

Liked 360 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 135

My opinion:
Pro:
PPU (AKA Monarch) is a great target ammo. It is inexpensive and extremely reliable. I have shot almost 2K rounds of .45 through my 1911, probably 200 rounds of both 9mm and .270 win. Never once have I had any type of failure.

Con:
Depending on the caliber, I think some of the bullets are plated instead of jacketed (Google the difference).
The brass is thinner than almost any other brand. Not a problem if you just use it once but if you reload then you won't get as many uses per case.
The ammo is DIRTY!!!! Your firearms will need a thorough cleaning after a trip to the range. It is something about the powder. I have pulled bullets and discovered that the powder has a green color to it. If anyone can explain that, please do.

Conclusion:
PPU is great ammo for the range, however I would not carry the hollow points for self defense simply because there are much better rounds out there using better technology.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 05-14-2013, 02:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
My opinion:
Pro:
PPU (AKA Monarch) is a great target ammo. It is inexpensive and extremely reliable. I have shot almost 2K rounds of .45 through my 1911, probably 200 rounds of both 9mm and .270 win. Never once have I had any type of failure.

Con:
Depending on the caliber, I think some of the bullets are plated instead of jacketed (Google the difference).
The brass is thinner than almost any other brand. Not a problem if you just use it once but if you reload then you won't get as many uses per case.
The ammo is DIRTY!!!! Your firearms will need a thorough cleaning after a trip to the range. It is something about the powder. I have pulled bullets and discovered that the powder has a green color to it. If anyone can explain that, please do.

Conclusion:
PPU is great ammo for the range, however I would not carry the hollow points for self defense simply because there are much better rounds out there using better technology.
Thanks! I have read a lot about ppu being good range ammo...and when 50 rds.of ammo are under $25 for .40...that is what I assume. But that was the purpose of my OP.....what defines a reliable SD/HD round. Is it one that cycles flawlessly and identifies as a JHP....or one that "meets FBI standards" as a self defense round? That is where I am admittedly uneducated on the subject. As far as dirty....I am not so much worried about how dirty my gun gets after a few rounds is if a BG is trying to take my life.

-AP

― Thomas Jefferson

― Alexander Hamilton