Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Thinking about Reloads what do I get!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Thinking about Reloads what do I get!

hey I am thinking about starting to do reloading for my AR and AK and some pistols too. what do you get to start and is it really help on cost and what to do? I have never done this before. And how do you keep from loading your barrel up with lead from shooting reloads?

Fire for effect!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1105 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 634

well, inital start up costs cant be around $500. but most of that you only need to purchase once. after you do a lot of ammo the cost evens out and eventually saves. however reloading can also provide you with much higher quality ammo for the same price as cheap stuff. and reloading often leads to shooting more. so savings may be irrelavent. you go check out all the stickies at the top of this section there is great info on what you would need. and how to start. also get the book the ABC's of reloading. it has lots of helpful info.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

ok thanks I have no idea if I will do it or not but I know in the long run it can help to stock up!

Fire for effect!

Old 07-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Both easy and hard.

Start by getting a book or two or more on the process. I have found that a book printed by a tool maker will be favorable to that brand. So, get more than one book.
Read these books cover to cover, and parts several times.

I must assume that you have already looked at the stickie at the top of this Forum. After studying it, check this one also. This Forum that deals directly with your question.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171

Gather as much information about the products you favor but don't get stuck with the view that brand x is best and disregard all others. Remember, if a product doesn't perform, it will not be in the market very long. One brand/tool type will have advantages over another and that other will have other advantages the first doesn't.

So I have not answered your question and may well have irritated the Forum by referring you to another Forum. But I want to give you as much valuable information as I can.

Loading does many things. Better understanding of a weapon and it's capabilities, tailored loads for your weapon and needs, a great pass time when you just can't be out shooting, and could save some money.

Remember this truth: Always error on the side of safety.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Last edited by oldpapps; 07-19-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have been reloading 9mm and 45 cal for a while now. I also cast my own bullets. It is both boring and satisfying at the same time. My costs are around 6-7 cents for the 9mm and 8-10 cents for the 45. Yes, I do shoot more often but I am still saving money on ammo.
Also, if and when TSHTF, I can shoot, clean and reload without leaving the house.

Tim

The Second Amendment makes all the others possible.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:37 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqu9047 View Post
I have been reloading 9mm and 45 cal for a while now. I also cast my own bullets. It is both boring and satisfying at the same time. My costs are around 6-7 cents for the 9mm and 8-10 cents for the 45. Yes, I do shoot more often but I am still saving money on ammo.
Also, if and when TSHTF, I can shoot, clean and reload without leaving the house.

Tim
what do you do about all the extra lead deposit from the bullets?

Fire for effect!

Old 07-20-2012, 04:12 AM   #7

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Read, read, read. Reloading is one thing you do not want to screw up doing. Get some books first. Then come back and ask questions. Good luck!

Old 07-20-2012, 04:31 AM   #8

Liked 1685 Times on 951 Posts
Likes Given: 1131

If you have lead buildup in the barrel you can get a chore-boy copper pot scrubber. Cut it into a patch and wrap it aound a smaller brush than you would use for your calliber. I use 38 to do 45. With the brush wrapped with the chore boy pad run it back and forth in the barrel. It will pull all the lead out in only a few seconds. Easily less than a minute. Do not use the stainless steel ones. It must be copper! Barrels are made to have copper plated bullets fired through them. You will not damage your barrel.

I bought a Colt 1917 that had so much lead in it there was no rifling visible. I bout it for $225 or $250 I dont remember which. After about 30 seconds it looked like a brand new bore. I sold it for $400.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.