Thinking about reloading...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Thinking about reloading...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Thinking about reloading...

I shoot 100-200 rounds of.45 auto 230 gr. FMJ at the range. My ejected brass has a dent in them. Since I'd have to by new brass, is it cost effective for me to reload or continue to buy new ammo. I have no reloading equipment right now, nor have I ever reloaded. Any thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2008, 10:11 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Yeah. I got a question - Does ALL of your brass have this "dent"? In what part of the case?

JD

Old 08-04-2008, 10:57 PM   #3

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I have a Hi-point .40 S&W that occasionally dents the side of the spent casings but I don't know why. Please don't make fun cause I bought a Hi-Point, I bought it when I turned 21 just to plink in the backyard. It dosn't do it very often though.

Can Berdan primed ammunition be reloaded? I have some Wolf .223 cases and some CCI 9mm Luger cases that are berdan primed. I always pick up my brass to keep them out of mower blades and to reload later, Always Recycle.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 08-04-2008, 11:25 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Dented pistol brass will usually be corrected when running it though the loading dies.

It's not fair to ask a bunch of reloaders if it's worth doing, go for it! IT'S NOT DIFFICULT or few or us could do it.

Berdan stuff can be reloaded but it's rarely worth the hassle if boxer primed cases are available.

Last edited by 1hole; 08-04-2008 at 11:29 PM.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:03 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I have a Hi-point .40 S&W that occasionally dents the side of the spent casings but I don't know why. Please don't make fun cause I bought a Hi-Point, I bought it when I turned 21 just to plink in the backyard. It dosn't do it very often though.

Can Berdan primed ammunition be reloaded? I have some Wolf .223 cases and some CCI 9mm Luger cases that are berdan primed. I always pick up my brass to keep them out of mower blades and to reload later, Always Recycle.

Berdan primers can be removed with several tools from different manufacturers. Lee makes the cheapest tool - a Decapper and Base - each cost about $3.50. Guaranteed for life against breakage. RCBS makes a better Berdan Decapping Tool for $49.27. The primer pockets should be reamed or swaged after decapping to remove the "crimp" and restore the primer pocket to a perfectly round state. This is done with a Primer Pocket Swager - RCBS sells one that mounts in the press, just like a die, and costs $26.48. Unless you buy a lot of military brass, it's not worth buying the decapper and swager. Military brass is thicker - walled, and consequently you will get more reloads from it, but it's another two operations to do before you have a completed round of ammo! If you have a second cheap single stage press to dedicate to this task it is quicker. The following link is for the cheapest supplier of reloading equipment, powder, bullets, and primers that I have found:
WWW.MIDSOUTHSHOOTERS.COM
They are honest people and pack your order to save money on shipping - they also pack Primers and Powder TOGETHER to save you money on the mandatory $20 HazMat fee. Many places mislead their customers into thinking this cannot be done, and charge you $40. Not true! If the total weight is less than 60lbs. Primers CAN be shipped with powder...
P.S. - I have a $900 AR-15 that dents my brass - the ejected shells hit the shell deflector and dent the case necks - this dent is removed during the sizing operation and is nothing to worry about! On your HiPoint, the cases are probably being flipped into the rear of the ejection port on their way out of the receiver. Depending on what weight bullets you are using this dent is going to be either more or less pronounced, due to the increased or decreased recoil energy.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-05-2008 at 12:16 AM.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:15 AM   #6

Once you remove the Berdan primer from your cases, can you replace them with Box primers to save the extra effort next time? I would'nt worry about it but I have tons of military cases lying around and figured I'd use them up first to save on cost.

1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
Savage Model 64, .22LR
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 08-05-2008, 12:33 AM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Dented brass is ok as long as it is minor dent nothing that is caved in half way.

A lot of my brass is dented after I fire. I run them threw the sizing die and bang all fixed. Might want to have your pistol looked at by a gunsmith.

You can get 230gr Rainer platted bullets dirt cheap. Powder is not all that expensive either I run Hodgdon titegroup at 5 gr Powder is about $20 a pound and divide that by 7000 I use 1 cent of powder per round. This thread will show you what you need to start.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:40 AM   #8

Thanx for the info, unfortunately I don't have access to the knowledge base yet, so I can't see the thread you've posted. Not yet at least.

1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
Savage Model 64, .22LR
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 08-05-2008, 02:07 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
Once you remove the Berdan primer from your cases, can you replace them with Box primers to save the extra effort next time? I would'nt worry about it but I have tons of military cases lying around and figured I'd use them up first to save on cost.
Yes - the primer pockets are the same size from Berdan to Boxer once you swage them. If you have that much military brass it's probably a good investment to get the "decapper/swaging tool".
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-05-2008, 03:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Yeah. I got a question - Does ALL of your brass have this "dent"? In what part of the case?

JD
Yup, every case, same spot. About the mid point on the side of the case. It's not deep at all. I'm heading to the range tomorrow. I'll get a pic. Although from what y'all are saying I should be fine re-using my spent brass.

Last edited by supergus; 08-05-2008 at 03:17 AM.