Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Thinking about it (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/thinking-about-38923/)

njsportsman 02-24-2011 04:52 PM

Thinking about reloading

Thinking about reloading. I was all set to but a rock chucker and at about $.22 a round I don't if it gets much cheaper; at least to be worth the time and effort. Now again I don't reload but, kinda tried to calculate materials and initial cost of equipment and I don't see it. Is it much cheaper that's what I would like to know? I also shoot .223, .45ACP and .357. haven't done the research on those calibers yet. I guess what I am saying is it just for the hobby,art or enjoyment of reloading your own. This bulk idea kinda put the brakes on reloading at least for now or until I can see the savings in it. Thanks

CA357 02-24-2011 05:56 PM

I don't reload yet, but I plan to do so at some point in the future. Two things are preventing me at this point; the space to work comfortably and safely and the initial start up costs. It takes a fair amount of money to get the necessary gear and supplies. Eventually, the cost per round drops as the equipment amortizes itself.

So, at some point I hope to reload, but for now, it's just a nice thought.

Sniper03 02-24-2011 06:11 PM

NJ

Regarding your comment about reloading. I am sure there are less expensive rounds out there! But most are of less quality. Some, I value my weapons too much to shoot them. And they are certainly not as good as those you would have if you were loading. Especially when it comes to accurate rifle ammunition. If you buy good quality ammunition form any dealer out there it is not inexpensive to say the least. What loading does for you is gives you the opportunity to develop the load to match the weapon. More versatility as to which bullet you want to shoot. Another thing to consider is the fact that when the liberals fire up their anti-gun campaign again. They will, with Hillary and the goons working hard to get us involved with the UN Weapons Treaty Program. "Without any of our votes! I might add! I do think it will be a long time before an attempt is made to "try" to take weapons but I think their undermining plan in the mean time is to attack ammunition in the near future. This will be by restricting or taxing ammunition to make it so expensive we can not afford it. That's what they were trying to do recently by requiring the manufacturers to put serial numbers on each case and etc. And keep records on them! Can you imagine the logistical nightmare! Just this alone would raise the price of ammunition out of sight. The other issue is if TSHF as has been spoken about on the forum. Ammo will be hard to come by. You will not be finding any in the stores and if you did it would cost you the farm to get it. It will be better than Gold because who will be buying or biting off a piece of gold! When people will want things to maintain living and supporting families. Ammunition will be used for several reasons. As Purchasing or Bartering powers. I have stock piled dies and my reloading supplies due to the fact that if any or all of the above should occur (and I pray it doesn't!) I can make my own ammunition for family defense, personal protection, or bartering for goods, materials and services. Only a thought on some possible benefits of reloading! So! the way a lot of us here on FTF are seeing it, there are many legitimate reasons to load. Also reloading is a personal challenge to build the most accurate round you can for a specific treasured rifle or weapon.

JonM 02-24-2011 06:58 PM

the savings comes from being able to utilize free brass in the form of range pickups or re-use brass multiple times. ive got 45 acp brass some of which is nearing its end life after 20+ reloads. rifle brass doesnt last as long but the savings is very substantial. your saving .16 a shot as a bare minimum on 45acp. its actually closer to .30 with todays prices if your diligent on buying sale items and picking up range fodder.

the other benefits non-monetary is you are in control of the quality of your rounds. my toss together in a hurry rifle ammo is better quality than the 45$ for 20 rounds premium match grade ammo you buy off the shelf.

njsportsman 02-24-2011 07:12 PM

Sniper 03
Yea I know I don't want to buy the Brown Bear and mainly the russian ammo. Reloading is an option as i said I need to check the other calibers i am shooting especially the .45 ACP. That's the most expensive to buy.

robocop10mm 02-24-2011 08:55 PM

I reload most handgun and rifle calibers as well as shotgun. I also cast my own bullets. I have a rather large investment, but it is paid out over 26+ years.
The per round savings is way down on my list of "why" I reload. Being self sufficient is one of the biggest reasons. I have the ability to continue to load ammo after supplies become unavailable (SHTF).
I take pride in my abilities and like the additional control I can exercise over my shooting enjoyment.
I can also make somewhat exotic ammo fairly easily.

JonM 02-24-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njsportsman (Post 452570)
Sniper 03
Yea I know I don't want to buy the Brown Bear and mainly the russian ammo. Reloading is an option as i said I need to check the other calibers i am shooting especially the .45 ACP. That's the most expensive to buy.

15$ 500 large pistol cci primers
65$ 500 berry plated 230grn bullets
0$ 500 45acp cases
7$ 500 6 grn charges of unique powder
--------------------------
87$ 500 rounds 230grn 45acp

195$ 500 rounds magtech 230 grn 45acp

maybe able to find some cheaper elsewhere but thats a median price. all prices are from midway.com. i put 0$ for brass since its readily available as range pickups or re-usable. savings for reloading quality brass cases is like less than half shelf costs. if our going to load large quantities i would strongly recomend some sort of progressive setup. single stage is fine for small lots of rifle rounds but large quantities a progressive is well worth the extra.

people will shell out big $$ for guns but balk at spending the cost of one gun on a decent loading setup and spend crazy money on loaded ammo. boggles my mind.

jpattersonnh 02-24-2011 09:31 PM

I bought a Lee aniversery kit years ago, $80.00 at the time. I've loaded for up to 16 rifle calibers and 5 handgun. I'm at about 12 rifle and 5 handgun now. I can load 9.3x57, w/ premium bullets for .75 cents a round. Factory ammo that is close is $2.50 a round. .308 is real cheap. I like Prvi 165gr SP bullets, very consistant, very accurate. The last 500 lot I bought were $40.00 shipped. I buy IMR 4064 in 8# kegs since I use it for many calibers.
Midway runs E-blast specials on bullets a few times a year. I've paid as little as $9.00 per 100 for partitions. 8x57, .308, 7.5x55, .223/5.56, 6.5x55, 7.62x54r, .303, I can load for under .30 cents a round.
Pistol calibers.. .13 cents a round for some. .44-40 cast lead bullets cost .034 per round. 9mm cast lead bullets, .042 per round. Cast lead 185gr 10mm.. ..052. Loaded ammo under .17 cents a round.

jeepcreep927 02-24-2011 10:57 PM

Some do it for the savings, the enjoyment of just doing it, better accuracy, or any of the reasons stated.

I started about four years ago for fun and was surprised to find the HUGE increase in accuracy when loads are tailored to a rifle. I have a .222 I built on a Stevens 200 action with a Brux barrel. Good factory ammo will print just under one inch 5 shot groups. My handloads will shrink that to low .2's. My LTR in .308 does under half an inch with reloads. I don't *need* that kinda accuracy, but it's fun.

njsportsman 02-25-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 452637)
I bought a Lee aniversery kit years ago, $80.00 at the time. I've loaded for up to 16 rifle calibers and 5 handgun. I'm at about 12 rifle and 5 handgun now. I can load 9.3x57, w/ premium bullets for .75 cents a round. Factory ammo that is close is $2.50 a round. .308 is real cheap. I like Prvi 165gr SP bullets, very consistant, very accurate. The last 500 lot I bought were $40.00 shipped. I buy IMR 4064 in 8# kegs since I use it for many calibers.
Midway runs E-blast specials on bullets a few times a year. I've paid as little as $9.00 per 100 for partitions. 8x57, .308, 7.5x55, .223/5.56, 6.5x55, 7.62x54r, .303, I can load for under .30 cents a round.
Pistol calibers.. .13 cents a round for some. .44-40 cast lead bullets cost .034 per round. 9mm cast lead bullets, .042 per round. Cast lead 185gr 10mm.. ..052. Loaded ammo under .17 cents a round.

Yea if I go through with this the Lee anniversary is another option. I was looking at the Lee anniversary as well but, was kind of talked into getting the rock chucker. Kind of you get what you pay for kind of deal but, I heard a lot of good thing about the Lee anniversary especially for beginners. I did though hear that the scale and other measuring devices were not reliable. I was told that by a couple of people on another forum. One said that he bought a Lee anniversary and upgraded the measuring devices. So I am still pondering it. The one good thing about the Lee anniversary is itís cheap and wouldnít lose much if itís a bust I think itís around $100 w/o dies. But the bad is if it truly has unreliable measuring tools I would have to upgrade and that could cost. What is your opinion of the measuring tools? Do you us them or is it true about the reliability? Thanks