Are These Safe to Shoot??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Are These Safe to Shoot??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 740 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Default Are These Safe to Shoot??

A friend of mine gave me some .38 Long Colt that he thought were wadcutters, but when we looked at them he noticed that there were gas checks in the cases. When pulled out the gas check at the mouth of the case there were BB's and another gas check underneath... Seems to be some old homemade snakeshot? Are these safe to shoot with out harming my gun?

107_5650.jpg   107_5653.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Loads of this type have never done well for me. Mine were very safe for my weapons. I found that card board wads with waxed shot gave better pellet groupings. I did better with cut down 303 Brit brass out of a .44 Mag revolver, but only as a first shot. Small amount of recoil and the pellets and wax would move forward, falling away. Did the same with gas checks.

To your question. I can not speak for the specific loading, but the concept will not hurt your weapon.

If you have any question as to the safety of these, junk them. Your hands and eyes are not replaceable.

Be safe and enjoy.

OSOK

Old 11-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpapps View Post
Loads of this type have never done well for me. Mine were very safe for my weapons. I found that card board wads with waxed shot gave better pellet groupings. I did better with cut down 303 Brit brass out of a .44 Mag revolver, but only as a first shot. Small amount of recoil and the pellets and wax would move forward, falling away. Did the same with gas checks.

To your question. I can not speak for the specific loading, but the concept will not hurt your weapon.

If you have any question as to the safety of these, junk them. Your hands and eyes are not replaceable.

Be safe and enjoy.

OSOK
Excellent reply ^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
As long as the load is within pressure for your pistol it wont hurt anything. If you want to double check you can weigh the shot and pull the powder and weigh it as well. Then you'll know the load and can compare it to current load data.
...woah.....spittinfire, no disrespect, but how is he going to identify the powder? Different powders, that even look the same, are going to require different weight loadings.....Trez, please don't do this, it is an unsafe practice......my opinion!! (course I know you know Trez....)

Old 11-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #4

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

You could check the powder. If it happened to be red dot you could identify it.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #5

Liked 740 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Thanks for the info! Sounds like I shouldnt have a problem, I was wondering more about the projectile than pressure. I will be shooting these outta my Medusa, so pressure isnt really a issue, the cylinder is rated at 86,000 psi.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:04 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSix View Post

...woah.....spittinfire, no disrespect, but how is he going to identify the powder? Different powders, that even look the same, are going to require different weight loadings.....Trez, please don't do this, it is an unsafe practice......my opinion!! (course I know you know Trez....)

You know what....you're right.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-14-2011, 01:11 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Thanks for the info! Sounds like I shouldnt have a problem, I was wondering more about the projectile than pressure. I will be shooting these outta my Medusa, so pressure isnt really a issue, the cylinder is rated at 86,000 psi.

Ah there you go again with bragging about that dang medusa.

Just giving ya a hard time.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #8

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

From what you have shown me there is no way I would shoot them. I have seen some loaders do goofy things and I tend to be pretty cautious.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2744 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

That is the same kind of shot shells I make for my .41 Mags. They do not pattern as nicely as the Speer shot capsules, but they work. It would be hard to imagine an unsafe load using this payload.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball