Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Are These Safe to Shoot?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/these-safe-shoot-51719/)

Trez 11-13-2011 04:50 PM

Are These Safe to Shoot??

2 Attachment(s)
A friend of mine gave me some .38 Long Colt that he thought were wadcutters, but when we looked at them he noticed that there were gas checks in the cases. When pulled out the gas check at the mouth of the case there were BB's and another gas check underneath... Seems to be some old homemade snakeshot? Are these safe to shoot with out harming my gun?

oldpapps 11-13-2011 08:03 PM

Loads of this type have never done well for me. Mine were very safe for my weapons. I found that card board wads with waxed shot gave better pellet groupings. I did better with cut down 303 Brit brass out of a .44 Mag revolver, but only as a first shot. Small amount of recoil and the pellets and wax would move forward, falling away. Did the same with gas checks.

To your question. I can not speak for the specific loading, but the concept will not hurt your weapon.

If you have any question as to the safety of these, junk them. Your hands and eyes are not replaceable.

Be safe and enjoy.

OSOK

EagleSix 11-13-2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpapps (Post 626780)
Loads of this type have never done well for me. Mine were very safe for my weapons. I found that card board wads with waxed shot gave better pellet groupings. I did better with cut down 303 Brit brass out of a .44 Mag revolver, but only as a first shot. Small amount of recoil and the pellets and wax would move forward, falling away. Did the same with gas checks.

To your question. I can not speak for the specific loading, but the concept will not hurt your weapon.

If you have any question as to the safety of these, junk them. Your hands and eyes are not replaceable.

Be safe and enjoy.

OSOK

Excellent reply ^^^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 626800)
As long as the load is within pressure for your pistol it wont hurt anything. If you want to double check you can weigh the shot and pull the powder and weigh it as well. Then you'll know the load and can compare it to current load data.

...woah.....spittinfire, no disrespect, but how is he going to identify the powder? Different powders, that even look the same, are going to require different weight loadings.....Trez, please don't do this, it is an unsafe practice......my opinion!! (course I know you know Trez....)

hiwall 11-13-2011 10:00 PM

You could check the powder. If it happened to be red dot you could identify it.

Trez 11-13-2011 10:17 PM

Thanks for the info! Sounds like I shouldnt have a problem, I was wondering more about the projectile than pressure. I will be shooting these outta my Medusa, so pressure isnt really a issue, the cylinder is rated at 86,000 psi. :D

spittinfire 11-14-2011 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleSix (Post 626837)

...woah.....spittinfire, no disrespect, but how is he going to identify the powder? Different powders, that even look the same, are going to require different weight loadings.....Trez, please don't do this, it is an unsafe practice......my opinion!! (course I know you know Trez....)

You know what....you're right.

Boyerracing343 11-14-2011 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trez (Post 626879)
Thanks for the info! Sounds like I shouldnt have a problem, I was wondering more about the projectile than pressure. I will be shooting these outta my Medusa, so pressure isnt really a issue, the cylinder is rated at 86,000 psi. :D

Ah there you go again with bragging about that dang medusa. ;)

Just giving ya a hard time.

BlueTurf 11-14-2011 01:23 PM

From what you have shown me there is no way I would shoot them. I have seen some loaders do goofy things and I tend to be pretty cautious.

robocop10mm 11-14-2011 03:13 PM

That is the same kind of shot shells I make for my .41 Mags. They do not pattern as nicely as the Speer shot capsules, but they work. It would be hard to imagine an unsafe load using this payload.