is there a benifit to clean brass? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > is there a benifit to clean brass?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 03:11 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6663 Times on 3545 Posts
Likes Given: 498

traditional tumbler and media is the easiest method. doesnt get it the prettiest but it gets rid of the grit that can jam or damage expensive dies and rifles.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 09-18-2011, 04:29 AM   #12

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Harbor Freight has viberators tumblers and medi.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
Harbor Freight has viberators tumblers and medi.
I was looking at that a few weeks ago it's small and cheap looking I guess when I need one I'l buy one that has a big bowl for all my brass.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:16 AM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i've had my tumbler for about six months now, i can put about 100 pistol cases or about 50 rifle cases in it. i have had very good luck with mine and for what i spent, even it quit tomorrow i would buy another. i bought mine from MidSouth Shooters Supply. they are an excellent source for all items for reloading, and the prices are reasonable and the shipping is quick. try them out.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #15

I always tumble brass before reloading. Mainly to remove crud from inside of the case and clean the outside. From what I garnered from various articles, it is best to have uniform capacity within a case and cleaning helps remove residue from earlier firings that could send other "gunk" down the bore leading to pre-mature wear. I like the outside clean to avoid possible damage to the resizing dies and chambers as noted by JonM. In addition, I invested in the Hornady sonic cleaners (note plural) to really clean the interior of the cases after de-priming. They work great and almost get the brass to new condition (say 70%). This is liquid cleaning and I do it about once for every three times I use the brass. I bought my own pyrex dishes and dry brass in oven at 175 degrees F for about 1-2 hours. Very important not to use your wife's pyrex!. If I had more time, I'd do it more frequently. All in all, there is little downside to cleaning the brass and alot of benefit. I use Lyman tumbers (note plural) a Magnum 2500 for big batches and the smaller one as needed. I always use the Lyman greenish media with a dose of Dillon Precision liquid brass cleaner. I'm sure there are other brands that are effective as well. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

hmann, where did you find the sonic cleaners at and how much are they? do they work better than the tumblers? is there any advantage of the sonic cleaner over the tumbler cleaners? just curious, as have not really heard a lot about the sonic cleaners to make an informed decision. just trying to get a little information. thanks.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

does anyone have a dillon tumbler and how is it

Old 09-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #18

Default Sonic Cleaners vs Tumbling

Sonic cleaners can be found at Cabelas, Midway USA, Natchez Shooting Supply and I'm sure others. Without a doubt they clean better than tumblers, especially the interior of the case and primer pockets. My personal experience has been with the Hornady Lock-N-Load Sonic Cleaner #043350 (you can get for about $99) and the Magnum Sonic Cleaner #043340 (usually around $250-$270). You also need the One Shot Sonic Clean Solution Cartridge Case Formula #043355 that use to be around $18-$20. One quart goes a long way, expecially if you reuse your solution. LYman also makes a sonic cleaning unit but I"m not familiar with it. The Lock-N-Load Sonic Cleaner unit ( #043350) will only run a maximum of 8 minutes if I remember right so you have to go back to the unit every 8 minutes and reset it to run. I usually do 24 minutes of cleaning. It will hold up to 308 size cases comfortably. I bought the magnum unit because it is deeper and it will run 40 minute cycles. I actually think the smaller unit cleans better (ie three 8 minute cycles vs a single 40 minute cycle, but that could be my imagination). The smaller unit has a plastic basket whereas the magnum unit has a metal wire mesh basket. Be careful if you clean nickel plated brass, the metal wire mesh basket will discolor nickel severely where it makes surface contact with the brass. Also, in general, the sonic cleaning discolors nickel but that appears to be a cosmetic thing. The only disadvantage to the sonic cleaners is you need to factor in time to dry the cases before reloading. My process is I first tumble brass, then resize/deprime, trim to length, ream case mouths, roughly hit the primer pocket if I have time, then sonic clean. End product their is nearly like new brass ready to go.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:54 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

I use a sonic cleaner,a cheap one I got on e-Bay.It works great.It's not real big ,but I only do pistol cartridges in it anyway.I make my own cleaning solution and it works good also.It doesn't take long to clean a bunch of cases and they come out looking like new.morayman..........

Old 09-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by morayman View Post
I use a sonic cleaner,a cheap one I got on e-Bay.It works great.It's not real big ,but I only do pistol cartridges in it anyway.I make my own cleaning solution and it works good also.It doesn't take long to clean a bunch of cases and they come out looking like new.morayman..........
Morayman,
Can you share your recipe for making your own cleaning solution?????????