Theory to share
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Theory to share

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 04:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Theory to share

So, a year ago I purchased a Mossberg 4x4 300 Win Mag rifle. I know, I know, cheap rifle. I have fired it a lot and done a few load developments with various powders and bullets. It does okay at 200 yards (within 1 MOA) but beyond that I get pretty wild results. Wild enough that I don't feel confident using it for hunting. I would say at best the barrel is a #1 contour and for a magnum rifle that's crap, I know. My reasoning for the wildness beyond 200 yd though is barrel whip.
Here is my theory and for which I would like some feedback. The heavier grain bullets I have been shooting (nothing less than 175 gr) and the high pressures needed to push these rounds down range at velocities of 3,000 fps or better are contributing to barrel whip and thus the erratic rounds at 300 yd or further. My theory is to drop the bullet weight to 150 gr or below to minimize the barrel whip. I plan on doing a load development on a 150 gr bullet and see what happens. Any thoughts on my theory?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #2

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I know what I like about the 30.06 is the bullet weights available,

especially if you reload.

Nothing beats a try, but a failure.

I think it sounds like a good idea.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6789 Times on 3609 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Are you shooting groups faster than 1 shot every 4-5 minutes??

Thin hunting barrels are designed to fire one shot well. Not shot after shot. When a barrel heats up especially with these big magnum rounds thin barrels lose accuracy stupid fast.

Train like you hunt. You dont shot dozens of shots when you see your target animal then shoot the beastie... Shoot wait 5 minutes shoot again and so on. I'm sure you will be happy with the results.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
John_Deer Likes This 
Old 01-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1592 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 1727

Drop your bullet weight & your powder charge, yes I know it`s a magnum but get your #`s down around upper 06 #`s & I guarantee it will do better out past 300 yards, & do as JonM says, slow your roll !.............

Old 01-16-2014, 02:18 PM   #5

Liked 2485 Times on 1458 Posts
Likes Given: 569

A thin barrel can still shoot accurately if it is made properly and stress releived so that it does not warp as it heats. Keeping barrel vibrations the same from shot to shot is the imoprtant thing. carefully tailored loads should help, so that shot to shot consistency is at it's best. Also make sure the action is propperly torqued into the stock. If it is bedded make sure the bedding is good and solid. make sure the barrel channel is not toucing the barrel unevenly, or having uneven pressure on the barrel. As a barrel heats the pressure inconsistencies become more magnified. Free floating the barrel like this may help, but it isn't always the answer. Some guns with sporter weight barrels benefit from some consistent pressure at the tip of the forend in the form of a pressure pad in the barrel channel. Some gasket cork material from an auto parts store can work to help you add thin layers until your consistency is at it's best. I've done this barrel channel clean-up and corking with Ruger 10/22s and Mosin Nagant rifles and seen significant results in groups size reduction.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #6

Liked 3320 Times on 1494 Posts
Likes Given: 3059

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
Drop your bullet weight & your powder charge, yes I know it`s a magnum but get your #`s down around upper 06 #`s & I guarantee it will do better out past 300 yards, & do as JonM says, slow your roll !.............
This right here, ^^^ a slow hit is better than a fast miss.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #7

Liked 3620 Times on 2067 Posts
Likes Given: 2520

For $10.00 or less try a Limbsaver barrel de-resonator. Try Cabela's, Gander Mt. Basspro.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6789 Times on 3609 Posts
Likes Given: 506

One other thing.

The 300mag is designed to run heavy bullets fast. They have the correct twist rates for this.

Going to a lighter bullet at a slower speed is likely to have a poor effect on accuracy
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 
Old 01-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #9

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

People see the 300 mag as super long range cartridge but it is not. If you can shoot a 1" group at 200 yards, you can hit a paper plate at 300 yards. Unless you have a pack of hounds or a guide that tracks wounded animals every day 300 yards is a realistic shot. Hitting the animal is one thing retrieving the animal is another thing altogether.

People do make long shots with a 300 winchester mag. But they are not using hunting bullets. They have a barrel that is rifled for 140/150 gr bullets. For hunting applications the 300 mag is designed to deliver a heavy bullet with a lot of energy. The 300 mag is a child of the 375 H&H.

Here is an article about the history of the 300 mag and why winchester developed it. Most game animals are taken at ranges of less than 100 yards. 300 yards is a long shot when hunting. People that say they shot elk at 500 yards actually shot the animal at 150 yards. Every year the shot gets longer and longer until it gets to the point that only a military sniper team with a rangefinder and ballistic calculator could have made the shot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Winchester_Magnumhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Winchester_Magnum

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-16-2014 at 03:29 PM.
jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 01-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #10

Liked 776 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 842

I think JD has a valid point. I shoot an inexpensive 7mm Rem Mag. It is good for 2 quick rounds, that is all. I'm good with 300 yards. Could I make a shot at 400, 500? Yes, but it is not realistic. Just to many variables. I load Barnes XFB 140 and 160. Out to 400 yards, there is no advantage from one to another. My barrel is pencil thin and made for humping over terrain. It does work well. My .308 HB is more accurate at range, but that is what the tool was designed for. I'm not humping an 13+lb rifle in the mountains.