Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Testing the Waters...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Default Testing the Waters...

Hello everyone,

Well, since I'm going to be getting a .380 relatively soon, it occurred to me that reloading may be a worthwhile investment for the future.

My questions are as follows:

1. Do you reload your own SD rounds? (legal implications?)
  2. What powder would you suggest for such a short barreled round?
  3. Any thoughts on the Lee Challenger Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit?
  4. More questions to follow, just give me time to think them up!

And as always, thanks for the advice!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2601 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 202

1. NO! I load HP ammo for SHTF, but not for pre-apocolypse SD.
2. The faster pistol powders work fine. I have used W-231, Red Dot and Green Dot with good results.
3. I use a Dillon so I am not familiar with this loader.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #3

Howdy!
To answer some of your questions...
1. NO! I was always taught to use ammo that has been successfully defended in court. People have been sued for using home loads on the basis that it was made to be more lethal or something stupid like that.
2. I have used Accurate #5 for years, but have just switched to Alliant Power Pistol. I think there are a few different others that are fine, but I agree with Robocop that you would want a faster pistol powder.
3. The Lee Challenger is fine if you want to just see if this is something you will like doing, and don't mind doing smaller batches, and because of having to change and reset the depth of each die you change to, but if you're like me, I got the single stage and quickly went to a Lee progressive press. So maybe think about getting a turret press if not a progressive. I think the Lee Turret is about $69.99.
Good luck and enjoy reloading, I do...

Old 09-01-2011, 04:22 AM   #4

Thanks to the both of you for the replies.

The answer to question one was the question I was most...interested in. I can see where reloading for the zombie apocalypse makes sense however.

Same still applies! I'm always interested in hearing everyone else's opinions on this kit. It seems really solid and I cant complain about the price Midway is asking for it!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 09-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5311 Times on 2773 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Howdy!
To answer some of your questions...
1. NO! I was always taught to use ammo that has been successfully defended in court. People have been sued for using home loads on the basis that it was made to be more lethal or something stupid like that.
Thats a myth. No one has ever been prosecuted for handloads. A good shoot in self defense is a good shoot. Doesnt matter if your using a rubber band and paper clip or a 155 howitzer.

I use factory rounds mainly because i cant get really good sd bullets for a decent price. I can hold up a factory loaded round and a handload loaded to the same fps you cant tell the difference.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 09-01-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2601 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Thats a myth. No one has ever been prosecuted for handloads. A good shoot in self defense is a good shoot. Doesnt matter if your using a rubber band and paper clip or a 155 howitzer.

I use factory rounds mainly because i cant get really good sd bullets for a decent price. I can hold up a factory loaded round and a handload loaded to the same fps you cant tell the difference.
Correct. You will not be prosecuted for using handloads for SD, BUT an overzealous prosecutor WILL use it as ammunition (pun intended) to show you as an evil person intent on causing mayhem.

It will be difficult to determine if a handload is used, but it will not be difficult to show you had reloads in the gun from the previous extractor/ejector marks left on the cases. The one or more fired cases will have the remnants of the previous firing.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #7

Thanks for the correct info guys, my permit class instructor and I stand corrected.
That being said, I'm sure that using ammo that current LEO's are issued, make it easier for your lawyer to defend a righteous shooting incident, No?

Old 09-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would mostly use factory ammo because it will be assembled to the highest standards. I couldn't guarantee that my own reloads would still be good after a year against my body, but would trust a quality defensive round with its sealed primers and case mouths. But, you can't load anything that is any more effective than what you can buy.

For SD, I'd honestly recommend a truncated cone or even a SWC if you can find one. Most .380 loads show inconstant performance even in bare gel. I'd rather just know my bullets will get there (the vitals) if I place them there, rather than hope it doesn't over-expand and under-penetrate.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
I would mostly use factory ammo because it will be assembled to the highest standards. I couldn't guarantee that my own reloads would still be good after a year against my body, but would trust a quality defensive round with its sealed primers and case mouths. But, you can't load anything that is any more effective than what you can buy.

For SD, I'd honestly recommend a truncated cone or even a SWC if you can find one. Most .380 loads show inconstant performance even in bare gel. I'd rather just know my bullets will get there (the vitals) if I place them there, rather than hope it doesn't over-expand and under-penetrate.
Iv done a good amount of research into .380 in the last month or two, admitidly from information gathered online, and have NEVER found a single account of over expansion. Failure to expand, yes, but in that case my jhp becomes a fmj, so what have I lost? Nothing. Even at 25% expansion rates, I win with jhps over only fmjs. With that said, I'm comfortable with 10 inches of penetration with expansion considering iv got 6 more to follow up with if need be. Sorry, just can't see the logic in SWC's and FMJ's in .380...

---Ron Paul

---Tom Braun

Old 09-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19985 Times on 11361 Posts
Likes Given: 50414

unless you do a whole lot of shooting and have progressive type reloader and can turn out hundreds of rounds, i would recommend from my personal viewpoint just buy some of the better off the shelf SD/LE type ammo for the 380. i buy PMC fmj ammo for mine to practice with and keep it loaded with Hornady 90gr XTP ammo for sd use. just my two cents worth.