Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Terminal Ballistics

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 03:23 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 427
Default

Ahh, yeah! Although it actually took place just outside of Homestead, FL, (The area is now called, 'Pinecrest'.) this event is called, 'The FBI Miami Shootout'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout

The above isn't an entirely accurate account of what transpired that morning; but, it'll do to make the point.
__________________
G21.45 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RL357Mag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Albany,New York
Posts: 3,251
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
Ahh, yeah! Although it actually took place just outside of Homestead, FL, (The area is now called, 'Pinecrest'.) this event is called, 'The FBI Miami Shootout'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout

The above isn't an entirely accurate account of what transpired that morning; but, it'll do to make the point.
Interesting articles - especially the Norco incident where an AR-15 saved the day.
__________________
Guns Have Only Two Enemies-Rust and Politicians
"The United States Constitution (c) 1791 - All Rights Reserved"
If Guns Kill, Do Pencils Mis-spell Words?
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
RL357Mag is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:03 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 788
Liked 240 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Completely different situation, but I talked to a clerk in a sporting goods store many years ago. He told me he had taken a Colt Python for a boar hunt up in east Tennessee. He told me of hitting that boar repeatedly with .357 Magnum rounds, Remington factory stuff, without any effect. A companion dropped the boar with one shot from a Marlin .45-70. Dressing out the old boar, the perfectly expanded, 125 gr. Remiongton Semi-Jacketed hollow point bullets had not penetrated more than one to one-and a half inches, going no deeper that the belt of fat under the skin.

Another man I talked with has killed boar in nearly every state that has a huntable boar population. His boar gun is a Smith Model 629 .44 Magnum, with 5" barrel. His load is a hard cast 220gr. truncated cone bullet. He has had several one-shot kills. Most of these have been Russian boar, with feral hogs and javelina included.

He has had the head of a Russian boar laser engraved on the frame of his forty-four.

Bob Wright

__________________
Bob Wright is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RL357Mag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Albany,New York
Posts: 3,251
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
Completely different situation, but I talked to a clerk in a sporting goods store many years ago. He told me he had taken a Colt Python for a boar hunt up in east Tennessee. He told me of hitting that boar repeatedly with .357 Magnum rounds, Remington factory stuff, without any effect. A companion dropped the boar with one shot from a Marlin .45-70. Dressing out the old boar, the perfectly expanded, 125 gr. Remiongton Semi-Jacketed hollow point bullets had not penetrated more than one to one-and a half inches, going no deeper that the belt of fat under the skin.

Another man I talked with has killed boar in nearly every state that has a huntable boar population. His boar gun is a Smith Model 629 .44 Magnum, with 5" barrel. His load is a hard cast 220gr. truncated cone bullet. He has had several one-shot kills. Most of these have been Russian boar, with feral hogs and javelina included.

He has had the head of a Russian boar laser engraved on the frame of his forty-four.

Bob Wright
Much easier to put down a human than a boar. My old gunsmith had a bleached boar skull in his office. One day I asked what the two holes in the frontal portion of the skull were caused by - he said they were two .357 Magnum hits, and that the boar needed a frontal chest shot with a rifle to drop it before it gored him! There are some fools down south that hunt them by jumping out of trees with speers and knives!
__________________
Guns Have Only Two Enemies-Rust and Politicians
"The United States Constitution (c) 1791 - All Rights Reserved"
If Guns Kill, Do Pencils Mis-spell Words?
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
RL357Mag is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 788
Liked 240 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
There are some fools down south that hunt them by jumping out of trees with speers and knives!

Yep, so I've heard.

Famous last words of a Redneck:

"Hey, Bubba, watch this!"

Bob Wright
__________________
Bob Wright is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RL357Mag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Albany,New York
Posts: 3,251
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
Yep, so I've heard.

Famous last words of a Redneck:

"Hey, Bubba, watch this!"

Bob Wright

LMAO!!! That's a good one Bob!!!
__________________
Guns Have Only Two Enemies-Rust and Politicians
"The United States Constitution (c) 1791 - All Rights Reserved"
If Guns Kill, Do Pencils Mis-spell Words?
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
RL357Mag is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Ballistics book? supergus Ammunition & Reloading 6 03-29-2009 12:35 AM
Ballistics Software Dillinger General Rifle Discussion 1 06-20-2008 04:52 PM
.44 Rem Mag ballistics question oldredneck General Rifle Discussion 2 09-26-2007 12:29 AM
G27 Ballistics cactusjack Glock Forum 0 06-05-2007 05:20 PM



Newest Threads