Temperature Change
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Temperature Change

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Temperature Change

Does repeated exposure to the cold (>32 degrees) and back to room temp (<70 degrees) have a negative, if any, effect on ammo?

My scenario: I conceal carry to and from work, but I am not permitted to carry on the job, so I leave my gun locked in my glove box. My gun, and ammo, has a good nine hours to get to New England outside temp, then back to room temp when I get home.

I don't think the temps my ammo is exposed to would effect it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2009, 04:12 AM   #2

Liked 1432 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Gee Dan, I've had no problem down here.

That 32º is Celsius......right?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-09-2009, 04:30 AM   #3

Dan, I think we've spoke a bit before... When are you gonna move north damnit1 Anyhow. I have my duty in and out of temp extremes way up here in northern Vermont half a dozen times per shift. From 20 below to 70 inside. Granted I am not outside for 9 hours at a whack but patrol rifles and shotguns are in the cruisers always with no ammo problems.

All duty ammo gets shot up twice a year at quals and replaced. I think you'll be ok going in and out of the cold.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 12-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 84 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The biggest thing you fight with ammo is rapid temperature change. I assume you leave the weapon loaded while in your truck and probably at home if you use it for home defense as well. How long does it take the heat or cold to transfer into your vehicle, into the glove box, into the weapon, and into your ammo? And how long does it take for the reverse to happen? I'm glad your putting thought into this as it could be a concern but I would be willing to bet the actual change in temperature your ammo sees is less then you think and the speed at which it changes is probably slower.
If it is a major concern you can always cycle it every 6 months or so as jeepcreep mentioned.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-19-2009, 12:13 AM   #5

Default ammo

in the short term 10/20 yrs it wont bother it.remember the military they fight in tropics and in artic.it works well for them.