Tell me about de-priming Milsurp Brass - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Tell me about de-priming Milsurp Brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Yes my spelling NO good..:p

Good point, HiPower.
Dillon addresses the pierced primers with their new style de-capper.
It has a spring loaded de-cap stem, that will jar lose the primer should you pierce one.
When I buy used brass/or free range pick up, I sort into 3 classes:
1. Commercial brass
2. Military boxer primed brass
3. Berdan primed brass
#'s 1+2 get put away for future loading.
#3 gets put (usually) into the scrap bucket-to be sold by the lb.

MilSurp-Boxer primed brass is usually of good quality and has many load cycles left in them.
IMO, Berdan primed brass is more reusable for key chains/writing pens!! HA HA...

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 11-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYBOB44 View Post

I'm calling BS on this one.
I believe that you have NEVER de-capped AND re-primed a BERDAN case in your life.
If your Dillon de-cap pin holds up to punch through the web of a berdan case, you will also take out the anvil at the primer pocket area of the case.
The anvil of a berdan case is part of the brass case=NOT removable!
If your Dillon de-cap pin went through the web of the case it would also destroy the anvil. This would also destroy the case in regard to re-priming.
Two ways to de-cap a berdan case:
1. A tool sold by RCBS that operates like an old style bottle opener, that pierces the primer cup and rocks it out. This is a $100.00 POS that does not work as well as advertised/if at all.
2. There are several different ways to go about using water with a hydraulic effect to "Blow" the primer out of the case. This actually works better than #1.
Now IF we get the primer out, without destroying the case, where do we find berdan primers. There is a very limited selection of berdan service primers from most all suppliers nationwide. You can find them, but they are hard to locate. You will not go into LGS and ask for a brick of berdan primers and get anything but strange looks from the counter person. Or worse yet the AH will try to sell you LR (Boxer) primers and tell you if you were any kind of hand loader you could make them work.
Lastly-Milsurp brass is not all boxer primed, and commonly re-loadable. Much of it is berdan primed and not USUALLY hand loaded. If it is boxer primed Milsurp brass then it is re-loadable, using common brass preparation procedures.
Thanks for the Rant---I'm DONE....
BillyBob,

Excellent post, Berdan brass is next to impossible to deprime and if you do, try to buy Berdan primers if you can find them. There is a trick to removing Berdan primers but to what purpose. Cartridge head stamps, when you learn them, are a source of identifying Berdan primmed brass. I use a Lee universal depriming tool with no problems for military brass. After I deprime, I use a Small Base die
to resize the brass, remove the crimp and then trim the case.

I especially like your BS flag.

Good post and I understand what you are saying.

patret

Old 11-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #43

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by patret View Post
BillyBob,

Excellent post, Berdan brass is next to impossible to deprime and if you do, try to buy Berdan primers if you can find them. There is a trick to removing Berdan primers but to what purpose. Cartridge head stamps, when you learn them, are a source of identifying Berdan primmed brass. I use a Lee universal depriming tool with no problems for military brass. After I deprime, I use a Small Base die
to resize the brass, remove the crimp and then trim the case.

I especially like your BS flag.

Good post and I understand what you are saying.

patret
Thanks for your support pat.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 11-16-2010, 03:15 AM   #44

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 83

just want to make sure of your question we talking boxer OR berden primed brass

Old 11-16-2010, 05:13 AM   #45

Default I hope I have the math stright?

Suppose this makes me 4 of 1000- 223, 308 & 30-06