Tell me about de-priming Milsurp Brass - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Tell me about de-priming Milsurp Brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 10:56 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
Isn't the Lake City brass really good stuff once you get the primer crimp out of it?
Lake City Brass is some of the best. I get over 7 reloads (on the .223 stuff) before it starts to degrade. I also Reload 30-06 and can get 2 reloads.

Note: Degrading is it looks like a case seperation is comming soon !

Old 11-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's a great question SS, why don't you post it in the reloading section.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #33

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Posted a new thread. Going to create a couple of more threads as well.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #34

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm2_man View Post
I have found that if the Berdan brass is centered correctly in the shell plate in my press, I can decap it with no problem. The Dillon decaping pins are pretty stout and will punch a hole right thru the berdan brass.
And that does what for you exactly?

Old 11-02-2010, 11:42 PM   #35

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would think that if you punched a whole in the brass of a berdan primed case, you would have an elongated, enlarged primer flash hole and who the heck knows what that would perform other than completely degrade the accuracy of your reloads. I just chuck any brass that I collect that I know is berdan primed.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:10 AM   #36

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Reloading Military brass

In 2009 I worked for an ammo company in Miami. I worked for the guy for about 9 months and quit because he was an idiot! During that time I probably reloaded at least a 55 gallon drum of 5.56 on a Billion Super 1050. Stout decapping pins, and a station that swages the primer pockets. On the Berdan primed cases...you got to feel them...if you pound the machine like a hyper monkey, you will never stop in time to save the decapping pin! The Dillion USUALLY will go thru the brass but the primers will not seat right and they usually back out. I rather give up a little speed for finesse and save the equipment and components...waste not want not!

There are no accidents, there is only ignorance, mechanical failure, or "ACTS OF GOD"! I load 3000-5000 rounds a day, 6 days a week!

Old 11-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #37

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just finished loading up my first batch of Lake City brass. Good stuff, tumbles up nice and clean, no soot in the necks, primer pockets are very dense material so I am not scrubbing out actual brass with the primer pocket brush on my cordless drill. I bought the RCBS tool for removing the crimp in the primer pocket, works very well. 15.00 bucks, screw it into the little green RCBS handle, and turn it five times in the primer pocket and voila! We'll see how this stuff shoots tomorrow morning.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:37 AM   #38

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Berdan primed cases??

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm2_man View Post
I was just saying that If CA357 wanted to sell the brass, some people will buy it as is and others, who do not have the tools, want the brass all prep'd. Obviously Prep's brass gathers a higher price.

I have found that if the Berdan brass is centered correctly in the shell plate in my press, I can decap it with no problem. The Dillon decaping pins are pretty stout and will punch a hole right thru the berdan brass. The biggest issue with crimped primers is sometimes you end up punching a hole in the primer without pushing it out. Unless you fiddle with it, the brass becomes scrap.
I'm calling BS on this one.
I believe that you have NEVER de-capped AND re-primed a BERDAN case in your life.
If your Dillon de-cap pin holds up to punch through the web of a berdan case, you will also take out the anvil at the primer pocket area of the case.
The anvil of a berdan case is part of the brass case=NOT removable!
If your Dillon de-cap pin went through the web of the case it would also destroy the anvil. This would also destroy the case in regard to re-priming.
Two ways to de-cap a berdan case:
1. A tool sold by RCBS that operates like an old style bottle opener, that pierces the primer cup and rocks it out. This is a $100.00 POS that does not work as well as advertised/if at all.
2. There are several different ways to go about using water with a hydraulic effect to "Blow" the primer out of the case. This actually works better than #1.
Now IF we get the primer out, without destroying the case, where do we find berdan primers. There is a very limited selection of berdan service primers from most all suppliers nationwide. You can find them, but they are hard to locate. You will not go into LGS and ask for a brick of berdan primers and get anything but strange looks from the counter person. Or worse yet the AH will try to sell you LR (Boxer) primers and tell you if you were any kind of hand loader you could make them work.
Lastly-Milsurp brass is not all boxer primed, and commonly re-loadable. Much of it is berdan primed and not USUALLY hand loaded. If it is boxer primed Milsurp brass then it is re-loadable, using common brass preparation procedures.
Thanks for the Rant---I'm DONE....

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 11-13-2010, 04:40 AM   #39

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
And that does what for you exactly?
^^^+1 I spoke of this on my Rant..

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 11-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #40

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Minor correction: It's anvils - plural......

Yes, I have seen cases of where someone has accidentally put a de-capping pin through a Berdan case that got mixed in with boxer cases. The primer pocket ended up a bit malformed, shall we say? LOL. Why anyone would do that intentionally(?) I don't have a clue.
I've also seen the pins punch through a boxer primer as well so I know that can happen on occasion too.

Along with the lack of availability of Berdan primers here in the US, there is also the problem of sizing them since there seems to be no standard between manufacturers. Five different boxes could yield 5 different diameters from what I understand. Some folks do love a challenge though.

Last edited by Highpower; 11-13-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: doubled word