Tell me about de-priming Milsurp Brass - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Tell me about de-priming Milsurp Brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 359 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I don't know when or if I'll start reloading. I have the brass and I thought about depriming it and selling it to make a few bucks while I'm unemployed.
OK, gotcha now.

If you wanted to throw it all in a flat rate box and mail it to me, I would happily process them for you and return them on my dime if you were so inclined. I'm pretty much in the same boat with you, but have all the equipment here already to do bulk batches and have plenty of time on my hands to fill.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's incredible and is extremely generous. Maybe we could do some kind of trade? Take a look at what I have, maybe you can use some of it yourself?

Let me know.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-30-2010, 07:14 PM   #23

Liked 776 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I have also! Guess I'm #2 in a million.
Make that 3! 5.56 and 7.62x51

Old 10-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #24

Liked 359 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Maybe we could do some kind of trade?
Let me know.
The trade would be that I get to continue to read and learn from the postings of one of the staple's of the FTF community. Even if I p**s you off at some future date and time.

PM on the way.

Oh yeah..... If a USPS semi parks out in front of my house with a delivery - the deal is off!

Old 11-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #25

Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I don't know when or if I'll start reloading. I have the brass and I thought about depriming it and selling it to make a few bucks while I'm unemployed.
You could just sell it without de-priming/Sizing. You won't get as much per piece.

Oh by the way, if its Rifle Brass it also needs to be trimmed to size. Bottleneck cases have a habit of streching out.

By the way I must be only 2 in a millon, I did break a decaping pin (Dam Berdan primed cartridge jumped into the mix).

Old 11-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #26

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Once fired millspec brass will need a lot of work. For me it is too much to deal with so I just get Winchester or Remington brass. I run win brass in my 223 remmy and remmy 223 brass in my AR.....

If you are wanting plinking ammo then milsurp brass will fill the bill.

Na I have given up 5 or 6 decapping pins to that effing berdan primed crap. I have also given up 50 or so primers to that craptastic winNT brass with the small primer pocket on the 45acp FREEKIN DOUCHE BAGS.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #27

Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Once fired millspec brass will need a lot of work. For me it is too much to deal with so I just get Winchester or Remington brass. I run win brass in my 223 remmy and remmy 223 brass in my AR.....

If you are wanting plinking ammo then milsurp brass will fill the bill.

Na I have given up 5 or 6 decapping pins to that effing berdan primed crap. I have also given up 50 or so primers to that craptastic winNT brass with the small primer pocket on the 45acp FREEKIN DOUCHE BAGS.
I was just saying that If CA357 wanted to sell the brass, some people will buy it as is and others, who do not have the tools, want the brass all prep'd. Obviously Prep's brass gathers a higher price.

I have found that if the Berdan brass is centered correctly in the shell plate in my press, I can decap it with no problem. The Dillon decaping pins are pretty stout and will punch a hole right thru the berdan brass. The biggest issue with crimped primers is sometimes you end up punching a hole in the primer without pushing it out. Unless you fiddle with it, the brass becomes scrap.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Isn't the Lake City brass really good stuff once you get the primer crimp out of it?

Old 11-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #29

Liked 78 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
Isn't the Lake City brass really good stuff once you get the primer crimp out of it?
Yes, it is.
I've decapped and reloaded over 2 thsd. rds. of .223 and shoots great.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can anyone here tell me what they think of annealing their own brass with a pencil torch after it has been reloaded several times? I have read an article in regards to brass hardening when you work it cold, and that you can get more accuracy and lifespan if you re-anneal the case necks with a torch and cold water. Any opinions or anyone ever done it?