Tell me about de-priming Milsurp Brass
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Tell me about de-priming Milsurp Brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Tell me about de-priming Milsurp Brass

All I know is that everybody says it's a PITA. Is it really? What tool/s do I need to do it and is it worth it?

I'm not working right now, so it may be worth it. Let me know guys.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2010, 11:45 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The only thing that I have heard about military surplus brass is that it is definitely not crap, it's mostly Lake City, correct me if I'm wrong. I have heard that depriming it is exactly the same as all others, except for the Berdan primed crap, but putting the new primers in is where the problem lies. Milsurp ammo should have all of the primer pockets crimped, so you have to ream those out before you can put in a new primer.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

So it's not necessarily the removal, it's reconfiguring the primer pocket that's the problem?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-29-2010, 11:51 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I believe it's just another step that you have to do when loading this stuff up. My father came across alot of this 5.56 milsurp LC brass, and he just chucked up a small ream in a drill press and went to work. Think he has about 500 pieces of it, and has ranted and raved about it's quality once you go through the extra p.i.t.a. step.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:51 AM   #5

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

[quote=CA357;377075]There are a few different tools available to either cut out the crimp, or swage it back into the primer pocket.

A simple case neck chamfering tool can be used, hand reamers (manual or power driven) or my favorite - a Dillon Super Swage 600. The good news is you only have to do it ONCE.

If you are cutting out the crimp, you should just to try to remove as little brass from the primer pocket as possible so that you don't get it oversize and/or leave the rear of the primer unsupported.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Good to know. Now, what tools do I need? I don't have a drillpress.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:55 AM   #7

How many cases are we talking about doing?

Old 10-30-2010, 12:58 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Does the swaging press remove the spent primer as well?

Old 10-30-2010, 01:02 AM   #9

No. Your resizing die (or decapping die) removes the old primer.
The swage tool only removes the crimp that is left over in the primer pocket.

Here is an example of a simple hand operated primer pocket reamer. It would work just fine if you don't have bucket loads of brass to de-crimp...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=501588

Last edited by Highpower; 10-30-2010 at 01:06 AM.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:15 AM   #10

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

if you try to deprime miltary brass (primers are crimped) with your decapping dies, it will bend the decapping pin.

you need to get a manual miltary brass decapper and primer pocket reamer or swager (to remove the crimp) from lee or rcbs.

they are very inexpensive.