Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Talkin about .338s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 01:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd love to have one of these, but I'm gonna need a serious raise before a $6K gun is anywhere in my future.

.338 Lapua Mag is one of the available calibers.

Last edited by russ; 09-02-2010 at 05:35 AM.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:34 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuner View Post
Ruzai: It sounds like you are either into or wanting to get into long ranage shooting and from your posts I am going to take a guess and say it is the latter. I do not know if you intend to get involved in competition or just do it for your personal pleasure. Others have made some very good points and my earlier post on the cost of ammo will become a serious consideration, believe me even if you reload.

First The .338-378 was intended as a hunting cartridge not a target cartridge and may not be capable of performing to "match standards'. Not saying it can't but with current reamers available probably not.

Second I may be wrong but I am not aware of any one other then Weatherby chambering a rifle for this cartridge. Some custom smiths may.

Third In the time that I shot high power competiton I never saw a Weatherby rifle on the fireing line. That was some time ago and things have changed a lot but I don't believe that is one of them.

Fourth What this boils down to is if you want to win in competition you are going to have to have a custom rifle built. A target/competition rifle in this caliber will definately consume the dollars allocated and possibly a good bit more. Even a surperbly accurate Mark V Weatherby hunting rifle in this caliber would not perform for a target application because of a sporter weight barrel.

Fifth, unless you are involved in organized shooting and have range facilities finding a place where you can shoot 500 to 1,000 yards could be tough. Where I am on the east coast itis near imposible. Some one will nodoubt write in about the 1,000 yard BR shooters in PA. etc. and you may have the wide open desert and that might not be a problem.

Sixth Velocity is only one component of reaching out and touching something but certainly not the only thing.

Again, I do not know what your goal is but if I wanted to get an accurate long range rifle I would look at what the 1,000 yard benchrest boys are using. On the other hand if your goal is to impress the rest of the crowd with size and blast you are on target. There are some darn accurate rigs out there shooting the .50BMG round and that is real impressive also. That is what the Canadian sniper used to take out an insergent at 1.5 miles.
I plan to be moving to Trinidad, CO soon which is not far from the Raton NRA range which has a 1,000 yard shooting range. At the moment all I can do is 200 in my cousin's pasture but not that often since I never get the chance to go up there too often. I do plan on getting into long range shooting when I go to Colorado, so you're right in assuming I'm interested in it. Myself and a couple of my friends enjoy long range shooting and do it simply for the fun of seeing how far we can get. Weatherby pushes the limits of all their cartidges so it might take me some time to work up to the precision of their factory rounds.
As for the 338-378 vs 338 Lapua Mag decision I'm having issue with is the money. I suppose I could grow to like the AR-30 for the same price as the Accumark V from Weatherby but I'm not exactly a high roller benchrest shooter so I cant shell out $5,000 on just the rifle (i.e. an AI .338 Lapua Mag). I dont plan on shooting long range comps, because I'm sure I'll get my tail handed to me on a silver platter in Colorado because of my vision. If I'll be competing I'll be doing it with my pistols.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Ruzai: Moving to Trinidad Co.” are you. Now that possibly opens up a special opportunity for you in a target rifle. If I am not mistaken that is where the Trinidad Gunsmith School is and there may be some special opportunities to have something made up at a good price and under the supervision of some excellent instructors. Just a thought; you might want to call the school and find out.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:59 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuner View Post
Ruzai: Moving to Trinidad Co.” are you. Now that possibly opens up a special opportunity for you in a target rifle. If I am not mistaken that is where the Trinidad Gunsmith School is and there may be some special opportunities to have something made up at a good price and under the supervision of some excellent instructors. Just a thought; you might want to call the school and find out.
I am planning to attend the school Tuner. I hope several of those oppurtunities comes up for me. I got to speak with several of the gunsmiths and the second year project is a Mauser rifle if I'm not mistaken. As much as I like the idea of making my own rifle, I'd still like a professionally manufactured rifle for myself in some sort of .338 caliber.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

That is great, you may have said that in an earlier reply andd I missed it. Atleast you should have the word on who is "in" and who is "not in" in gunsmithing. I have looked at the school's courses and Instructors and they have some top really notch instructors. Best to you in your studies there.