Talk me into reloading - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Talk me into reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #21
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Lotsa cops get free ammo from the PD's and do not reload.
So brass is not considered very valuable.

Just some additional comments.

My buddy and I have standardized on cartridges and calibers. We had
met our goal of loaded ammo, and are now just stockpiling components.

There is a lot to learn. Starting learning before you purchase.
Years ago before I was reloading a cop buddy of mine would take me to the POA range and they would give me free ammo too, They said I could bring some home, but out of respect and not wanting to take anything on the taxpayer's dime (OK, I was young and naive) I declined. Plus, I didn't have any guns in .40 S&W (a personal shortcoming that I have since corrected... several times over) or 9mm (still don't have one in that caliber) so stockpiling ammo for guns I didn't own did not make any sense at the time. Since then they no longer provide any free practice ammo for officers.

These days I would just be interested in all the brass I could get out of it. I have plenty of .40S&W processed brass (somewhere north of 10K rounds) but I can use a lot more .223/5.56. I have plenty of ammo in both calibers. I am pretty good on components except for powder, I do need to stock up on powder but I need to improve my storage facilities- meaning a large enough locker that is dry and secure yet away from the buildings.
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 11-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2090 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 6230

The TV will be crap in a year or two, not the right connectors, not the right 3D or resolution, just an aging piece of junk.

As an engineer, I think that you will enjoy the process. The equipment, the components, the process makes it a must do.
If you have the space to leave things until you get back to it, all the better. If you don't have much time, the setup and teardown can make work.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #23

Liked 3380 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 3088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
, but out of respect and not wanting to take anything on the taxpayer's dime (OK, I was young and naive) I declined. .
That was funny and good all at the same time. There aren't too many people out there that respect tax payers. Good on ya.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 11-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
That was funny and good all at the same time. There aren't too many people out there that respect tax payers. Good on ya.
If only our duly elected representatives felt the same way. I have served in an elected position before and was surprised at the rampant waste and the way people would encourage you to take "free" stuff that was taxpayer property.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:00 AM   #25

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I would have taken it. I pay taxes, might as well get some ammo out of it, besides, it probably still got given away.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1378 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 252

While wandering through Sam's club today, SWMBO said, "wouldn't that work bench be great for a reloading bench? So it came home with us

That and a friend in NV apparently has like 2 55gal drums full of mixed brass. He's going to send me 2 or three large boxes of .223!

Old 11-26-2012, 12:36 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest225 View Post
I would have taken it. I pay taxes, might as well get some ammo out of it, besides, it probably still got given away.
These days I would take as much as I could cart away, not because I want to stick it to the tapaer, but as you point out it is free to LEOs and they haul it off too. Its a moot point now because they don't give any practice ammo away these days. Matter of fact the Chief at the local community college asked me about purchasing some bulk ammo a few months back. This was at a flea market they have there once a month where weapons and ammunition are prohibited but I was selling a bunch of other stuff- holsters, survival equipment, that sort of thing (the cops were my best customers!) and the Chief asked what else I had. I am not sure if he was just fishing for info or what, but he did say that he was looking for a bulk rate on .40S&W and .223 for practice for the force. Hmmm. I wonder if he is still interested? Prices have gone up!