surplus ammo through mosin nagant... - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > surplus ammo through mosin nagant...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Gents- We are NOT discussing ARs- we are discussing shooting CORROSIVE PRIMED AMMO in a Mosin nagant rifle!

The AR/ M16 family of weapons was not intended to be washed- the bolt action M-N was. Brake cleaner does NOT remove the salt left after a corrosive primer is fired. It takes a WATER based product to do that. During WW 2 the US issued RBC- rifle bore cleaner- that WOULD do the job. Stunk like crazy.

Pay attention now, and keep up with the rest of us.
You mean all those inspections I passed after taking the M16 into the shower were gimme's? My DI lied to me? No it can't be true!

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #12

Liked 751 Times on 497 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Funny... I can leave my SKS for months without cleaning, and without ill affects..... (Another reason AZ rocks! )

Old 11-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9161 Times on 3957 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Trez- the SKS was made with a chromed bore to resist damage from corrosive ammo (except for some of the Yugos.

The 91-30 was invented before chrome plating was.

And yes, your DI lied about taking the M16 into the shower- they were never supposed to have white glove inspections. (And did you know, if there is ANY dirt in a 16, you can pull the operating handle, and it will be in that little half moon cutout the handle slips into? )

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #14

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Trez- the SKS was made with a chromed bore to resist damage from corrosive ammo (except for some of the Yugos.

The 91-30 was invented before chrome plating was.

And yes, your DI lied about taking the M16 into the shower- they were never supposed to have white glove inspections. (And did you know, if there is ANY dirt in a 16, you can pull the operating handle, and it will be in that little half moon cutout the handle slips into? )
I think the white glove inspections were a cheap way to force us to disassemble the M-16 beyond a normal field strip. It was peacetime, we never fired the rifles enough to have any malfunctions. The only way to train us well enough to be able to repair the rifles in the field was to play games. We kept the rifles so clean we had to lubricate the rifles to actually fire them.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5949 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 5515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
I think the white glove inspections were a cheap way to force us to disassemble the M-16 beyond a normal field strip. It was peacetime, we never fired the rifles enough to have any malfunctions. The only way to train us well enough to be able to repair the rifles in the field was to play games. We kept the rifles so clean we had to lubricate the rifles to actually fire them.
That's good leadership. Your rifle becomes a part of you. Cleaning it, and even repairing it is something you should be able to do blind folded.

My old D.I.s always said:

"Take care of your weapon, and your weapon will take care of you."

BTW, C3 is spot on about the chrome lining in the bore and chamber. It's a shame they didn't figure out chrome until almost the end of the corrossive primer era.

Winston Churchill

Last edited by locutus; 11-04-2012 at 08:15 PM.